Subject: Re: [bug#31940] [PATCH] gnu: Add Stalin.
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Adam Massmann <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 22:36:00 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Adam,

Adam Massmann <[email-masked]> skribis:

>>From dbd3395c90aa443a7c6bad9155e6bfc7053bfbf0 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Adam Massmann <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2018 14:29:23 -0400
> Subject: [PATCH] gnu: Add stalin.
>
> * gnu/packages/scheme.scm (stalin): New variable.

Another Scheme, woohoo!  :-)  Applied!

I applied the patch, but I added a FIXME about the fact that it’s
“yogurt software” as Ricardo says: its “source” includes C files
generated by itself, which are obviously not source code.  We try to
avoid that, but OTOH we already have the same problem for several
compilers, for instance MIT/GNU Scheme.

From the README, previous versions were apparently bootstrapped using a
separate Scheme->C compiler.  We could perhaps fix the problem by
building one of these older versions of Stalin, and using it to build
the latest one.  Would you like to give it a try?  (On this topic, don’t
miss <http://bootstrappable.org/>.)

Anyway, thanks for the patch!

Ludo’.