Subject: Re: bug#31456: guix size tries to fetch substitute information for installed package.
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Martin Castillo <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 15:29:04 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Martin,

Martin Castillo <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> Exactly.  So I don’t think it’s a bug per se, just that no substitutes
>> were unavailable when you checked.
>
> The documentation gives me the impression that it should work without
> substitutes, when I have the package installed.

Right, it will work out-of-the-box if you have the ungrafted version in
the store.

> I think guix size should automatically search for the grafted version,
> unless there is a technical reason/another use-case for guix size that
> I'm not aware of, for which it makes more sense to use the ungrafted
> version.

‘guix size’ resorts to substitutes if it can’t find what it’s looking
for locally.

It explicitly search for the ungrafted version because substitute
servers only have the ungrafted version, and because computing the
derivation of the grafted version may require building the ungrafted on.

> If that's the case, maybe say that in the documentation?

Agreed, done in 2fd345cdfdd45dd48c9392a26793e442d680968b.

Thank you!

Ludo’.