Subject: Re: bug#2956: 23.0.92; anything.el causes BSOD on vista64 dual-processor
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 14:31:26 -0400

>> > The fact (if it is a fact) that a problem manifests itself only on
>> > Vista does not necessarily mean there's no bug in Emacs, especially
>> > since the variety of different systems on which Emacs is routinely
>> > tested is so small.  Some positive evidence is required to deduce that
>> > the bug is in the underlying OS.  Do you have such an evidence?
>> An unprivileged process able to crash the OS is always a bug in the OS.
> Please re-read what I wrote: I also said that this doesn't necessarily
> mean there's no bug in Emacs.

We know for a fact that there are many bugs in Emacs, so there's no risk
of me thinking that "there's no bug in Emacs" ;-)

> We don't care about Vista bugs here, but I think we do care about Emacs.

Indeed.  But he described a bug in Vista, which happens to appear to be
triggered by something in Emacs.  Since we don't know what is that thing
in Emacs that triggers the bug, we can't even decide if it's itself
a bug or not.  We have plenty of real confirmed bugs not to worry about
this one until Vista gets fixed.  And I already mentioned a good "fix".

        Stefan