Subject: Core updates broken
From: Gábor Boskovits <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2017 21:12:48 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

It seems, that we have a breakage in current core-updates. m4, gettext, and
at least a few other packages fail to build.

We had a discussion about that on irc, here are the important points:

[09:34:53] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567250> * g_bor
has joined #guix
[09:34:58] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567251> <g_bor> Hello
guix!
[09:37:37] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567253> <g_bor> I
just tried to build something no core-updates and m4 and python-boot0 does
not build, I get a message that a decoding error occured in exception
dispatcher. It seem like it's locale related, I'm on hu_HU.UTF-8
[09:38:03] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567254> <g_bor> I'm
tring this now on master to see if the problem persists.
[09:38:10] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567255> <g_bor> Anyone
seen that?
[16:46:05] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567672>
<civodul> mb[m]1:
you were right about the failing installation tests
[16:46:16] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567673> <civodul> it
did work a couple of days ago though, so there's hope
[16:47:16] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567675>
<mb[m]1> civodul:
Any idea what caused it? Haven't been paying attention lately.
[16:47:24] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567676> *
kristofer has joined #guix
[16:53:03] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567677>
<civodul> mb[m]1:
no idea yet, let's see
[16:54:11] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567678> <mb[m]1> I
don't understand why core-updates is failing. I've bisected glibc down to
the first two commits on the 2.26 branch, and also tried reverting the
libatomic-ops update.
[16:54:35] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567679>
<civodul> how's
it failing?
[16:54:41] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567680> <civodul> well
maybe i should focus on one thing at a time :-)
[16:54:46] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567681> <mb[m]1> So
the culprit is likely one of these:
https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=commitdiff;h=665ce88d68fd13c5c...
<https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=commitdiff;h=665ce88d68fd13c5c4cbaf2808434c618745137c>
 and
https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=commitdiff;h=dc258ce62ae0bbb45...
<https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=commitdiff;h=dc258ce62ae0bbb456c6a855dbb6b384ecf7e988>
[16:55:27] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567682> * jonsger
has joined #guix
[16:55:31] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567683>
<mb[m]1> civodul:
"m4" and a few others fail like this: https://paste.debian.net/998765/
[16:55:36] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567684>
<civodul> you'll
find yourself being a libc hacker without noticing
[16:55:41] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567685> <mb[m]1>
Hehe.
[16:56:24] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567686> <civodul> in
this case it's the 'configure' file that leads to a decoding error
[16:56:28] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567687>
<civodul> could
you check its encoding?

[16:57:52] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567689> <mb[m]1> I
don't currently have the files. But I had built much further before the
glibc update (with the C++ fixes only).
[16:57:56] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567690> * jonsger
has joined #guix
[17:00:55] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567693> <mb[m]1> I
unpacked the m4 source and ran `file` on it:
[17:00:57] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567694>
<mb[m]1> configure:
POSIX shell script, UTF-8 Unicode text executable
[17:01:24] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567695> <civodul> so
it could be an issue with iconv in the new libc
[17:06:59] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567697> *
ryanwatkins has joined #guix
[17:11:08] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567699> <g_bor>
hello!
[17:11:18] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567700> <g_bor> Anyone
seen this?
[17:11:30] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567701> <g_bor> It's
on core-updates:
[17:11:51] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567702>
<g_bor> starting
phase `patch-usr-bin-file' Backtrace: 16 (primitive-load
"/gnu/store/4jf0jcpvjn6r2warav5xmxhmddf?") In ice-9/eval.scm: 191:35 15 (_
_) In srfi/srfi-1.scm: 863:16 14 (every1 #<procedure 9b0b40 at
/gnu/store/yifqwmdxc4pmd?> ?) In
/gnu/store/yifqwmdxc4pmdpm73diq03lqkprnrizn-module-import/guix/build/gnu-build-system.scm:
711:27 13 (_ _) 171:4 12 (patch-usr-bin-file #:native-inputs _ #:inputs _ #
_) In srfi/srfi
[17:13:38] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567703>
<civodul> g_bor:
mb[m]1 was just reporting the exact same issue :-)
[17:13:45] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567704>
<mb[m]1> g_bor:
Yes, I'm currently trying to track it down.
[17:14:36] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567705> <g_bor> I've
also seen it on python-boot0, slightly different message.
[17:14:55] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567706> <g_bor> Can
this be locale related?
[17:15:05] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567707> <g_bor> I
have hu_HU.utf8 here.
[17:16:04] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567708> * civodul
has quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[17:17:26] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567709>
<g_bor> mb[m]1:
can I be of assistance?
[17:18:19] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567711> * civodul
has joined #guix
[17:18:42] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567713>
<mb[m]1> g_bor:
The failure happens in the build container which uses a fixed locale (C?).
[17:19:17] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567714> <g_bor> Ok,
then it's not that.
[17:19:38] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567715> <g_bor> It
just seemd to be some character conversion error...
[17:20:08] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567716> <g_bor> Maybe
some invalid charaters leaked in somehow...
[17:20:15] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567717> <g_bor> Wait
a sec...
[17:22:51] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567719> <g_bor> It
seems, that a lot of packages are broken.
[17:23:01] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567720> <g_bor> I
laso got that for gettext.
[17:26:26] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567721> *
xkapastel has joined #guix
[17:30:38] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567723> <mb[m]1> Can
it be ncurses related?
[17:31:12] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567724> <g_bor> Might
be...
[17:31:21] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567725> <g_bor> did
not checked that.
[17:32:01] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567726>
<mb[m]1> g_bor:
Can you see if reverting 667082d59104d4b964dce878f5e8c0f8ad1be958 makes a
difference?
[17:32:24] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567727> <g_bor> Ok,
i will try that
[17:36:36] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567731> <g_bor> Do
we know about what was the last time it was working?
[17:36:58] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567732> <g_bor> We
could do a git bisect on core-updates?
[17:37:13] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567733> <g_bor> Do
we have a good commit to start from?
[18:40] <g_bor> Ok, now it's building.
[18:40] <g_bor> I think this will take a time...
[18:41] <g_bor> (guile does take some time :) )
[18:42] <g_bor> I'm trying to help to switch the default icedtea to
icedtea-8, and we'd like to that on core-updates...
[18:43] <g_bor> I've just written on the mailing list, that it would be
nice if we could have substitutes for the core-updates gnu-build-system.
[18:43] <g_bor> That could speed things like this up.
[18:50] <efraim> mb[m]1: just popped in for a second, core-updates is
failing on aarch64 also
[18:50] <efraim> civodul too ^
[18:52] <g_bor> Oh, well.
[18:52] <g_bor> Do we have a bug report on that already?
[18:53] <g_bor> Now I'm trying what mb[m]1 suggested, by reverting the
ncurses commit.
[18:54] <g_bor> It might be easier to track related information in a bug...

[20:52] <g_bor> reverting 667082d59104d4b964dce878f5e8c0f8ad1be958 did not
help

Does anyone know of a last working commit id?

I'm trying to seen if it's working after last merge of master, but if
someone knows a later point to start investigating the issue would help.

It would also help, if someone with a more powerful computer could help, as
building on mine is very slow.