Subject: [PATCH 00/18] Python updates
From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 22:04:13 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This is the beginning of a new 'python-updates' branch. It updates to
Python 3.6, as well as pulling in the latest versions of some popular
libraries (mostly the pytest closure). More to come!

'python-pytest' gains a dependency on 'hypothesis' and 'setuptools_scm'
which complicates the dependency tree somewhat. Currently I'm working
around it by using a minimal 'python-pytest-bootstrap' variant in all
packages required for pytest itself. It works, for now, but don't tell
anyone that the tests for 'py' and 'setuptools_scm' are actually not
running and also require 'pytest'.

Not sure how to solve that one, but won't spend any more time on it
this round unless someone has strong objections/suggestions. It's not
like they are running tests now, anyway! Considering a new (gnu packages
python-bootstrap) module to make it more manageable in the long run.

The patches are on 'core-updates'. Feedback very welcome. I may or may
not improve bootstrapping comments and descriptions of new packages
before pushing ;-)

If there is no feedback, I will push this to Savannah in a few days,
destroying the older 'python-updates' branch.

NB: The very last patch actually (inexplicably) breaks 'python-pytest'
and is included only for visibility. No idea what's up, yet.

Marius Bakke (18):
  gnu: python@3: Update to 3.6.2.
  gnu: python-py: Update to 1.4.34.
  gnu: python-six: Really enable tests.
  gnu: Remove python-pytest@2.
  gnu: python-pytest: Add a minimal variant for bootstrapping.
  gnu: python-setuptools-scm: Update to 1.15.6.
  gnu: python-pytest: Update to 3.1.3.
  gnu: python-pyflakes: Update to 1.5.0.
  gnu: python-mccabe: Update to 0.6.1.
  gnu: python-mock@2: Add dependency on python-six.
  gnu: Add python2-enum.
  gnu: python-flake8: Update to 3.4.1.
  gnu: Add python-linecache2.
  gnu: Add python-traceback2.
  gnu: python-unittest2: Update to 1.1.0.
  gnu: Add python2-funcsigs.
  gnu: python-mock: Make 2.0 the default package.
  gnu: python-hypothesis: Update to 3.14.0.

 gnu/local.mk                                       |   4 +-
 gnu/packages/backup.scm                            |   4 +-
 gnu/packages/calendar.scm                          |   3 +-
 gnu/packages/patches/python-3-fix-tests.patch      | 130 ++++
 gnu/packages/patches/python-3.5-fix-tests.patch    |  69 --
 .../python-3.5-getentropy-on-old-kernels.patch     | 720 ---------------------
 .../patches/python-unittest2-python3-compat.patch  |  34 +
 gnu/packages/python.scm                            | 350 ++++++----
 gnu/packages/tls.scm                               |   4 +-
 gnu/packages/web.scm                               |   2 +-
 10 files changed, 394 insertions(+), 926 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/python-3-fix-tests.patch
 delete mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/python-3.5-fix-tests.patch
 delete mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/python-3.5-getentropy-on-old-kernels.patch
 create mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/python-unittest2-python3-compat.patch

-- 
2.13.3