Subject: Re: bug#25017: Fwd: Re: dotimes var comiler warning
From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
To: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 17:31:49 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]> writes:

>  For purposes of this thread: As in Emacs Lisp, both VAR
>  and COUNT are required arguments. In general, I'd prefer
>  that Emacs Lisp not diverge from but converge toward
>  Common Lisp.
>
> The (implicit) decision to diverge further from Common Lisp has been
> made a while ago, by prefixing the CL functions with `cl' and
> importing the `seq' and `map' libraries, which provide similar
> functionality, but with a different interface.

Maybe (though, I don't think there was such decision, implicit or not -
"seq" and "map" functions also have an according prefix - I wouldn't say
we are converging are diverging to/from Common Lisp at all, but give
developers a stylistic choice).  But here were are talking about a
construct that exists in pure Elisp, and OTOH also in Common Lisp,
sharing the same name.  If there is not really a need to make the
semantics differ, I prefer to leave things as they are, because
everything else would probably be more confusing than helpful.

Regards,

Michael.