Subject: Emacs 25.1: Use of face escape-glyph on curly quotes is irritating.
From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 10:01:01 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello, Emacs.

In Emacs 25.1, I am using the info files built for the distribution
using texinfo 5 (?or 6).  They contain lots of curly quotes.

On my Linux virtual terminal, these are all displayed with the
escape-glyph, which is irritating in the extreme.  The workaround of
customizing escape-glyph to the default face would prevent the effect of
highlighting things like \377 and ^L, which is the proper use of
escape-glyph.

The only other workaround I can think of is rebuilding the Emacs info
files with texinfo 4, but that is not a long term option.

This misuse of the escape-glyph face is hardcoded into
startup--setup-quote-display.  It shouldn't be.

So, I'm reduced to hacking the source code to get what urgently needs to
be a user option.

Please, can we have this facility, at long last, controlled by a
customisable option?

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).