Subject: Re: bug#21108: Home directory not created for new users
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Andy Patterson <[email-masked]>, Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2017 12:39:39 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Andy Patterson <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Following up on the thread from guix-devel:
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-07/msg00554.html>
>
> On 0.8.3-pre, after a clean install, users listed in the system
> configuration file do not have a home directory automatically created
> for them in some circumstances. This causes the user to be initially
> unable to login. Specifically, with a separately mounted home folder,
> the folder may not be created. I note that when un-mounting /home, the
> expected folder does appear.

I’m happy to report that this is finally fixed, in commit
ae763b5b0b7d5e7316a3d0efe991fe8ab2261031.

From now on, home directories of non-system users are created when the
‘file-systems’ Shepherd service is up, i.e., when all the file systems
have been mounted.

Let me know if you spot anything wrong!

Ludo’.