Subject: Help! grepV2.21 treats ISO-8859 text files as if they are binary
From: Hans Pelleboer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 14:40:31 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

After upgrading to V2.21 I discovered that certain textfiles did not
yield any output after a grep search but the single line:

Binary file <NAME_FILE> matches

Further tests showed, that grep only behaved this way with text
files that were encoded according to ISO-8859 (There may be more!).
The presence or absence of diacritical characters didn't matter, nor
variants of formatting; another file with DOS type <CR><LF>'s parsed
just the same.

The only way to overcome this was by using the `roughshod' option
of the -a flag.

None of grep's versions that I have used before ever showed
this peculiarity.

I hope you can shed some light on this issue,

hansp