Subject: Re: bug#19662: 24.4: history bloat and navigation trouble
From: Marcin Borkowski <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 08:20:09 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 2015-01-25, at 13:47, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Boruch Baum <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Whenever I use the 'r' or 'l' keys in eww-mode, to eww-forward-url or
>> eww-back-url in the history list, the size of the history increases.
>> This seems to me to be wrong. Also, this behaviour seems to make it
>> impossible (for me, at least) to traverse the entire history this way,
>> unless I do so in a straight sequence (eg. all eww-back-url without ever
>> using eww-forward-url).
>
> The eww history navigation is, er, original, but it's trying to solve
> the problem of "how do I get back to the page I saw just a few minutes
> ago".
>
> If you're on page A, then moves to B, then moves back to A, and then
> moves to C, then getting back to B in eww is <back>, <back>.  Because
> that's the page you saw two pages ago.
>
> In Firefox, if you do the same, <back> will get you to A, and then
> there's no more <back>, and you can never visit B by either going back
> or forward.
>
> And it seems to me like your proposed change would have the same effect.
>
> If anybody has a better way of registering the history (that still
> wouldn't "forget" B, like Firefox does), I'm all ears.

Hi, it seems this thread just died silently.  I'm closing this bug.
Please reopen it if anything new (like, an idea) pops up.

Best,

-- 
Marcin the Janitor