Subject: Re: bug#19243: echo comand bug
From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
To: "Chema F. Ledesma" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 11:12:51 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

tag 19243 notabug
thanks

On 12/01/2014 10:56 AM, Chema F. Ledesma wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> I just wanted to report a bug i think i hava found on the echo comand.
> 
> If you execute echo "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" it does something strange
> repeating the last command before echo comand.

Thanks for the report.  However, this is not a bug in 'echo', but a
feature of your shell.  At least bash has a notion of history expansion,
where double-quoted ! is a shortcut for injecting previously-typed
commands from your history into the current command invocation.  Read
'man bash' and search for "history" for details.

History expansion occurs BEFORE 'echo' sees its command line arguments.
 You'd get the same effect with ANY OTHER COMMAND, when given the same
argument.  Thus, this is not a bug in coreutils, and I'm closing this
report, although you should feel free to comment with any further questions.

-- 
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org