Subject: Emacs 24.3 - cursor-type hbar renders incorrectly on OS X
From: EMRE YOLCU <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 16:08:31 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Mac OS X version 10.9.4, Emacs 24.3 installed via Homebrew package
manager with options "--cocoa --srgb" does not honor the following settings
in init.el as it should:

It can be recreated by having these in the init file on a similar setup.

(global hl-line-mode 1)
(setq-default line-spacing 10)
(setq-default cursor-type '(hbar . 200)) ;this one does not work correctly

Normally, when line-spacing is set to a value higher than 0, the cursor
height does not span the height of the area highlighted by hl-line-mode.
This bothers me, so I set the cursor-type to hbar and its height to a large
value (200). This is supposed to increase the cursor height to fit the
highlighted area. This works as I intend when I try it on Debian, but not
on OS X. I suspect the problem is in src/nsterm.m, in sections related to
how the cursor with the type HBAR is drawn.

I included two screenshots making the issue clearer.

Wrong

Correct

report-bug-emacs output:

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.2.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.20)
 of 2014-07-04 on <name>.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1265
Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.3' '--without-dbus'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.3/share/info/emacs'
 '--without-gnutls' '--with-ns' '--disable-ns-self-contained'
 'CC=clang''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t