Subject: Emacs 24.3 not compiling on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
From: Axel Bregnsbo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 23:36:46 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When compiling Emacs 24.3 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.4 the compilation
crashes with a segmentation fault from temacs, see snippet from make output
below. Configure was run with:
  ./configure --prefix=/users/abb/temp/install_emacs24_3
Emacs 23.3 works fine. Further down shown output from Emacs 24.3 configure
output.

abb@backend17 10.0dQ ~
$ rpm -q redhat-release
redhat-release-5Client-5.4.0.3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

abb@backend17 10.0dQ ~/temp/emacs-24.3
$ make
...
gcc -std=gnu99 -nostdlib -Demacs  -I. -I/users/abb/temp/emacs-24.3/src
-I../lib -I/users/abb/temp/emacs-24.3/src/../lib
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include/gtk-2.0
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/lib/gtk-2.0/include
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include/atk-1.0
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include/cairo
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include/pango-1.0
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include/glib-2.0
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/lib/glib-2.0/include
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include/freetype2
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include/libpng12
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include/freetype2
 -I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include/alsa
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include/librsvg-2
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include/glib-2.0
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/lib/glib-2.0/include
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include/gtk-2.0
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include/libxml2
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include/dbus-1.0
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/lib/dbus-1.0/include   -DORBIT2=1
-pthread -I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include/gconf/2
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include/orbit-2.0
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include/glib-2.0
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/lib/glib-2.0/include
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include/glib-2.0
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/lib/glib-2.0/include
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include/freetype2
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include/freetype2
-I/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/include    -MMD -MF deps/.d -MP
-g3 -O2   -Wl,-znocombreloc  \
  -o temacs pre-crt0.o /usr/lib64/crt1.o /usr/lib64/crti.o dispnew.o
frame.o scroll.o xdisp.o menu.o xmenu.o window.o charset.o coding.o
category.o ccl.o character.o chartab.o bidi.o cm.o term.o terminal.o
xfaces.o xterm.o xfns.o xselect.o xrdb.o xsmfns.o xsettings.o xgselect.o
gtkutil.o  dbusbind.o emacs.o keyboard.o macros.o keymap.o sysdep.o
buffer.o filelock.o insdel.o marker.o minibuf.o fileio.o dired.o cmds.o
casetab.o casefiddle.o indent.o search.o regex.o undo.o alloc.o data.o
doc.o editfns.o callint.o eval.o floatfns.o fns.o font.o print.o lread.o
syntax.o unexelf.o bytecode.o process.o gnutls.o callproc.o region-cache.o
sound.o atimer.o doprnt.o intervals.o textprop.o composite.o xml.o
profiler.o     xfont.o ftfont.o xftfont.o ftxfont.o  fontset.o fringe.o
image.o  terminfo.o lastfile.o    vm-limit.o   ../lib/libgnu.a      -ltiff
-ljpeg -lpng -lz -lm -lgif -lXpm -L/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/lib
-lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangocairo-1.0
-lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0   -lSM
-lICE -lX11 -lXrender -L/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/lib -lXft
-lXrender -lfontconfig -lfreetype -lz -lX11
-L/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/lib -lasound
-L/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/lib -lrsvg-2 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm
-lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0
-L/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/lib -lWand -lMagick   -lrt -lrt
 -L/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/lib -ldbus-1
 -L/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/lib -lxml2 -lz -lm      -lncurses
 -pthread -L/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/lib -lgconf-2 -lORBit-2 -lm
-lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lgthread-2.0 -lglib-2.0
-L/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/lib -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0
-lselinux -L/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/lib -lfreetype -lz
-L/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/lib -lfontconfig   -Wl,--rpath
-Wl,/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/lib
-L/import/vnetest/swrep/releases/2009/lib -lotf -lfreetype -lz
-lpthread   -lm -lgcc -lc -lgcc /usr/lib64/crtn.o
fns.o: In function `sxhash_float':
/users/abb/temp/emacs-24.3/src/fns.c:4139: warning: memset used with
constant zero length parameter; this could be due to transposed parameters
/users/abb/temp/emacs-24.3/src/fns.c:4139: warning: memset used with
constant zero length parameter; this could be due to transposed parameters
/users/abb/temp/emacs-24.3/src/fns.c:4139: warning: memset used with
constant zero length parameter; this could be due to transposed parameters
/import/vne/bin/ld: warning: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file
`/usr/lib64/crt1.o' is incompatible with i386 output
/import/vne/bin/ld: warning: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file
`/usr/lib64/crti.o' is incompatible with i386 output
/import/vne/bin/ld: warning: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file
`/usr/lib64/crtn.o' is incompatible with i386 output
test "no" = "yes" || \
  test "X" = X ||  -r temacs
cd ../lisp; make -w update-subdirs
make[2]: Entering directory `/users/abb/temp/emacs-24.3/lisp'
cd /users/abb/temp/emacs-24.3/lisp; subdirs=`find . -type d -print`; for
file in $subdirs; do case $file in */.* | */.*/* | */=* | */cedet* ) ;; *)
wins="$wins $file" ;; esac; done; \
for file in $wins; do \
   /users/abb/temp/emacs-24.3/build-aux/update-subdirs $file; \
done;
make[2]: Leaving directory `/users/abb/temp/emacs-24.3/lisp'
if test "no" = "yes"; then \
  rm -f bootstrap-emacs; \
  ln temacs bootstrap-emacs; \
else \
  `/bin/pwd`/temacs --batch --load loadup bootstrap || exit 1; \
  test "X" = X ||  -zex emacs; \
  mv -f emacs bootstrap-emacs; \
fi
/bin/sh: line 7: 31736 Segmentation fault      `/bin/pwd`/temacs --batch
--load loadup bootstrap
make[1]: *** [bootstrap-emacs] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/users/abb/temp/emacs-24.3/src'
make: *** [src] Error 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
abb@backend17 10.0dQ ~/temp/emacs-24.3
$ ./configure --prefix=/users/abb/temp/install_emacs24_3 | tee configure.log
...
Configured for `x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu'.

  Where should the build process find the source code?
 /users/abb/temp/emacs-24.3
  What compiler should emacs be built with?               gcc -std=gnu99
-g3 -O2
  Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             yes
      (Using Doug Lea's new malloc from the GNU C Library.)
  Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    no
  Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
  What window system should Emacs use?                    x11
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          GTK2
  Where do we find X Windows header files?                Standard dirs
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   Standard dirs
  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use a gif library?                           yes -lgif
  Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2?                                yes
  Does Emacs use imagemagick?                             yes
  Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -ldbus?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -lgconf?                                 yes
  Does Emacs use GSettings?                               no
  Does Emacs use -lselinux?                               yes
  Does Emacs use -lgnutls?                                no
  Does Emacs use -lxml2?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -lfreetype?                              yes
  Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt?                              no
  Does Emacs use -lotf?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use toolkit scroll bars?                     yes
...

-- 
Axel B. Bregnsbo
[email-masked]
+45 61782267