Subject: Re: bug#10164: 24.0.91; Instant crash enabling linum-mode
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 18:56:31 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 00:29:37 +0800
> 
> > Chong, please hold off the pretest while I debug this.
> 
> I bumped the version number in the trunk before seeing this latest
> message.  But, I haven't made the pretest tag yet---will wait.

Thanks.  The bug is fixed in revision 106561.

It was simply wrong to try to verify rows' hash values at that spot,
because the code immediately before that reallocates the glyph arrays,
so the contents of a glyph row could be complete garbage.  Therefore,
I removed the assertion.

I'm amazed that this assertion didn't trigger until now.  I guess too
few people compile with asserts.  Or maybe most calls to
adjust_glyph_matrix don't really reallocate, since display margins are
a relatively rarely used feature.

Sorry about this, it was a shameful thinko on my part to introduce
that assertion in the first place.