Subject: Re: bug#9350: 23.3; File menu should contain "split window horizontally C-x 3"
From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 15:12:27 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Splitting windows horizontally becomes more and more important as the
 > screen sizes rise - and it is prevalent in todays programming
 > environments.
 >
 > So I think that it would be important to add that entry to the menu -
 > also because a new user just asked me that, so this is no theoretical
 > construct, but an observation.
 >
 > This would clear up which kind of splitting is meant by the simple
 > "split window".

I added an entry for C-x 3.  Please have a look.

martin

Note: Adding an entry for `split-window-sensibly' doesn't strike me as a
good idea since that function is part of the buffer display routines and
constrained by `split-height-threshold' and `split-width-threshold'.