Subject: cannot start Gnus with idna.el

From: NAKAJI Hiroyuki <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 08:28:45 +0900

Hi,

I noticed that recent CVS Emacs has a problem. For example, Gnus cannot
start if idna.el is installed in the load-path directory.

I found the problem under the combination of

o FreeBSD/i386 8.0-CURRENT (Jan 29 2008)
o Emacs 23.0.60 (CVS HEAD)
o No Gnus 0.7 (CVS HEAD)
o GNU Libidn 1.2

I checked out the HEAD yesterday morning (JST), bootstrapped with gcc4
and ran. And then, typed ( g n u s ) C-j in *scratch* buffer but nothing
happened.

Next, I evaled (setq debug-on-quit t) and saved the *Backtrace* which
says the breakpoint is in idna.el:idna-to-ascii-response(). I attach the
*Backtrace* file.

The "while" in idna-to-ascii-response() seems infinite loop.

(defun idna-to-ascii-response ()
  (while (and (eq (process-status idna-to-ascii-process) 'run)
              (null idna-to-ascii-response))
    (accept-process-output idna-to-ascii-process 1))
  idna-to-ascii-response)

The idna-to-ascii-response is called from message.el and the failure
itself occurs in

(idna-to-ascii "räksmörgås")

Of cource, after I removed idna.el from any directories of load-path,
the error go away. (But there is another problem with Gnus which I'd
like to report.)

Regards,

Note: this report is sent using another CVS Emacs several weeks old.
-- 
NAKAJI Hiroyuki