Subject: 24.0.50; sending bug report from emacs -Q is completely broken
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 10:33:40 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Sending this from a different Emacs version, since it is no longer
possible from THIS VERSION, which has the problems:
 
In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-07-18 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/build/include'
 
Here are a couple of the problems - bugs I tried to report about this:
 
1. Args out of range when try to send bug report
 
This has happened to me several times now, when trying to send a bug
report from emacs -Q.  I don't have a reproducible recipe, but I'd be
surprised if you don't run into it, since it happens to me without doing
much at all.  I edit the `From:' address (because of the recent,
misguided, SMTP nonsense).  Then I write the bug report and hit `C-c
C-c', then answer `n' (because of the recent, misguided, SMTP nonsense).
 
This is the full content of `*Messages*':
 
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Checking for load-path shadows...
Checking 1 files in c:/Emacs-24-2011-07-18-lex/site-lisp...
Checking 499 files in c:/Emacs-24-2011-07-18-lex/lisp...
Checking 87 files in c:/Emacs-24-2011-07-18-lex/lisp/calc...
Checking 57 files in c:/Emacs-24-2011-07-18-lex/lisp/calendar...
Checking 148 files in c:/Emacs-24-2011-07-18-lex/lisp/emacs-lisp...
Checking 48 files in c:/Emacs-24-2011-07-18-lex/lisp/emulation...
Checking 68 files in c:/Emacs-24-2011-07-18-lex/lisp/erc...
Checking 55 files in c:/Emacs-24-2011-07-18-lex/lisp/eshell...
Checking 259 files in c:/Emacs-24-2011-07-18-lex/lisp/gnus...
Checking 65 files in c:/Emacs-24-2011-07-18-lex/lisp/international...
Checking 59 files in c:/Emacs-24-2011-07-18-lex/lisp/language...
Checking 69 files in c:/Emacs-24-2011-07-18-lex/lisp/mail...
Checking 48 files in c:/Emacs-24-2011-07-18-lex/lisp/mh-e...
Checking 121 files in c:/Emacs-24-2011-07-18-lex/lisp/net...
Checking 48 files in c:/Emacs-24-2011-07-18-lex/lisp/nxml...
Checking 194 files in c:/Emacs-24-2011-07-18-lex/lisp/org...
Checking 57 files in c:/Emacs-24-2011-07-18-lex/lisp/play...
Checking 170 files in c:/Emacs-24-2011-07-18-lex/lisp/progmodes...
Checking 88 files in c:/Emacs-24-2011-07-18-lex/lisp/textmodes...
Checking 62 files in c:/Emacs-24-2011-07-18-lex/lisp/url...
Checking 80 files in c:/Emacs-24-2011-07-18-lex/lisp/vc...
Checking 65 files in c:/Emacs-24-2011-07-18-lex/lisp/obsolete...
Checking 24 files in c:/Emacs-24-2011-07-18-lex/lisp/cedet...
Checking 2 files in c:/Emacs-24-2011-07-18-lex/leim...
Checking for load-path shadows...done
Mark set [2 times]
Auto-saving...done
Mark set
Sending...
Sending via mail...
Configure outgoing SMTP in Emacs? (y or n)  n
Setting `sendmail-query-once-function' temporarily since "emacs -q" would
overwrite customizations
apply: Args out of range: 102526, 102527
Auto-saving...done

2. After I edit the `From:' address, hit `C-c C-c', say `yes' to send the
report, then hit `n' not to configure SMTP, I get a new mail message
popped up by my mail client (Outlook 2003).  But:
 
a. Instead of the `To:' address having [email-masked]', it is
empty.

b. Instead of the `Subject:' being filled out, it is empty.
 
c. When I select (using `C-a' in Outlook) the message in the body about
pasting the bug report, and then I (use C-v to) paste it, I get the
content of buffer `*Bug Help*' inserted, not the bug report I wrote.
Useless, confusing, broken.

Please restore the behavior we had before you started mucking with this SMTP
config stuff.  This is a real setback for users, particular newbies trying to
report a bug from emacs -Q.