Subject: 24.0.50; Ever-changing frame size for GTK3 toolkit on a KDE4 desktop
From: Dirk Ullrich <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 13:04:10 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Please check that the From: line gives an address where you can be reached.
Your report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list
and the gnu.emacs.bug news group, and at http://debbugs.gnu.org.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give
a recipe starting from `emacs -Q':

1. Compile Emacs from Bzr repository with the GTK3 toolkit.
2. Start Emacs on a KDE4 desktop.
3. Starting to use Emacs dimish its frame size, and the frame size is
changing with nearly every command.

Remark: Using the GTK2 toolkit avoids this bug. Maybe it is caused by
the following change reported in `src/ChangeLog':
2011-06-14  Jan Djärv  <[email-masked]>

	* xfns.c (x_set_scroll_bar_default_width): Remove argument to
	xg_get_default_scrollbar_width.

	* gtkutil.c: Include emacsgtkfixed.h if HAVE_GTK3.
	(int_gtk_range_get_value): Move to the scroll bar part of the file.
	(style_changed_cb): Call update_theme_scrollbar_width and call
	x_set_scroll_bar_default_width and xg_frame_set_char_size for
	all frames (Bug#8505).
	(xg_create_frame_widgets): Call emacs_fixed_new if HAVE_GTK3 (Bug#8505).
	Call gtk_window_set_resizable if HAVE_GTK3.
	(x_wm_set_size_hint): Call emacs_fixed_set_min_size with min width
	and height if HAVE_GTK3 (Bug#8505).
	(scroll_bar_width_for_theme): New variable.
	(update_theme_scrollbar_width): New function.
	(xg_get_default_scrollbar_width): Move code to
	update_theme_scrollbar_width, just return scroll_bar_width_for_theme.
	(xg_initialize): Call update_theme_scrollbar_width.

	* gtkutil.h (xg_get_default_scrollbar_width): Remove argument.

	* emacsgtkfixed.c, emacsgtkfixed.h: New files.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.0.11)
 of 2011-06-22 on red
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11002000
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/usr' '--sysconfdir=/etc'
'--localstatedir=/var' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
'--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--without-sound' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3'
'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe'
'LDFLAGS=-Wl,--hash-style=gnu -Wl,--as-needed''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/coq-db hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ProofGeneral/coq/coq-db
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/coq-syntax hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ProofGeneral/coq/coq-syntax
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/coq hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ProofGeneral/coq/coq

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util time-date mail-extr message idna sendmail
regexp-opt format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader emacsbug tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)