Subject: Annoying recentering when scrolling down

From: "Juanma Barranquero" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 18:15:14 +0200

Package: emacs
Version: 23.0.60
Severity: normal

After setting this in .emacs:

(setq scroll-preserve-screen-position 'always
      scroll-conservatively           most-positive-fixnum ;; any large number
      scroll-step                     0)

scroll-down causes recentering. This is a regression.

The bug was apparently introduced by the following change:

2008-08-06  Chong Yidong  <address@hidden>

        * xdisp.c (try_scrolling): Use iterator to find the scroll margin,
        instead of window-end which does the wrong thing at eob.
        (try_cursor_movement): Minor optimization.
        (redisplay_window): If scroll margin is defined, don't assume
        window doesn't need scrolling.

emacs-devel discussion:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-08/msg00903.html