Subject: 23.3; MacBook Pro kp- keys don't work in Cocoa build
From: Mitchell Model <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 19:27:12 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On a MacBook Pro there doesn't appear to be any way to get Cocoa Emacs
23 (23.2 or 23.3) from http://emacsformacosx.com/ to see
Function-character as a kp-othercharacter event for those keys that have
Function alternates to emulate a keypad. The characters Emacs sees are
in fact the correct Function key variation of the characters -- e.g.,
Function-p is a * -- but they are not kp- versions of the events. Thus,
there is no way to bind, for example, kp-0 to anything. As a workaround
I have told Emacs to treat Function as hyper, which I never use
otherwise, and repeated all my kp- bindings (of which I have many) as
hyper equivalents. Carbon Emacs 22 did see Function-character as kp-
named keys.

In GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i686-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.35)
 of 2011-03-09 on black.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
configured using `configure  '--host=i686-apple-darwin' '--build=i686-apple-darwin' '--with-ns' 'build_alias=i686-apple-darwin' 'host_alias=i686-apple-darwin' 'CC=i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 -mmacosx-version-min=10.5''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Custom

Minor modes in effect:
  partial-completion-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  iswitchb-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
M-< C-s t t . C-u C-n C-u C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n M-< C-s f o n t C-s C-s C-s C-s 
C-s C-s - f a m i l y C-s C-a C-\ f o n t - f a m i 
l y SPC * . c s s <return> <help-echo> C-x o C-x C-f 
<M-backspace> <backspace> L <backspace> l i b <tab> 
<return> C-s c s s C-a C-x o M-< b C-z C-x C-f d C-x 
C-r C-g C-x C-r d e f <tab> <return> C-x 1 C-v C-v 
C-v C-x b p y <return> M-< SPC C-z C-x b <return> C-s 
d e s c n a m e C-s C-a M-< C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v 
C-v C-v C-x b d e f <return> C-x b d e f a u l t . 
c <return> C-x 1 C-s d e s c n a m e C-s C-a C-s d 
e s c C-s C-a C-x C-g C-g <switch-frame> C-x b b a 
s i c <return> M-< C-s C-s C-a C-s d e s c c l a s 
s n a m e C-s C-a M-< C-s t t SPC C-s C-s M-< C-s SPC 
t t C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s M-< <escape> C-g 
C-g C-g <switch-frame> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <options> 
<customize> <customize-apropos> n s - <return> <wheel-down> 
<double-wheel-down> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down> 
<wheel-down> <double-wheel-down> <wheel-down> <wheel-down> 
<double-wheel-down> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down> 
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <drag-mouse-1> <wheel-down> 
<double-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <wheel-down> 
<double-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <wheel-up> 
<double-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-2> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<switch-frame> <help-echo> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down> 
<down-mouse-1> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> C-h c H-+ 
<escape> x r e p o r t - e m a c s - b u g <return
>

Recent messages:
Creating group magic...
Creating group state...
Creating group... done
Creating customization items ...done
Resetting customization items...done
Creating customization setup...done
Unable to load color "dark blue"
To install your edits, invoke [State] and choose the Set operation
Saving file /Volumes/Users/mlm/home/dotfiles/.emacs.customizations...
Wrote /Volumes/Users/mlm/home/dotfiles/.emacs.customizations
H-+ is undefined

Load-path shadows:
/Users/mlm/home/emacs/xutil hides /Users/mlm/home/local/emacs/xutil
/Users/mlm/home/external/emacs/remember hides /Volumes/App/Editors/Emaxen/Emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/textmodes/remember
/Users/mlm/home/emacs/python hides /Volumes/App/Editors/Emaxen/Emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/python
/Users/mlm/home/external/emacs/timeclock hides /Volumes/App/Editors/Emaxen/Emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/calendar/timeclock

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp
ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils mailheader
canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash mail-utils warnings emacsbug ps-print
ps-def lpr hippie-exp css-mode macros edmacro kmacro image-mode
mule-util ebuff-menu emacs-wiki-macros emacs-wiki-colors
emacs-wiki-project emacs-wiki-publish emacs-wiki-menu emacs-wiki-regexps
emacs-wiki pcomplete nxml-uchnm rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml
rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util
rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph
nxml-enc xmltok add-log help-mode view cus-edit debug sh-script
executable etags info eldoc ansi-color browse-url server complete
completion cc-mode cc-fonts cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs tidy multi-isearch traverselisp derived ehelp
electric hideshow vc-hg tramp-imap assoc tramp-gw tramp-fish tramp-smb
tramp-cache tramp-ftp tramp-cmds tramp auth-source gnus-util netrc
time-date password-cache format-spec tramp-compat trampver glasses
filesets desktop recentf tree-widget wid-edit pp noutline outline
easy-mmode dired-x dired-aux dired regexp-opt apropos advice help-fns
advice-preload shell saveplace faces-standard-theme keypad iswitchb grep
delsel cus-start cus-load symutil compile comint ring miscutil cl cl-19
util tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win easymenu
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty emacs)