Subject: 30.2; Cannot narrow news to a specific version more than once.
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2025 14:59:14 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Emacs Maintainers,

  In the NEWS file is the instruction:

  "You can narrow news to a specific version by calling
   'view-emacs-news' with a prefix argument or by typing 'C-u
   C-h C-n'."

It is possible to do this once to narrow to a specific
version, but once the narrowing has completed, it is not
possible to use the same command to switch to a different
version.

To reproduce:

  emacs -Q
  C-h n
  C-u C-h C-n
  
At the "Read NEWS for the version" prompt, enter a version
or accept the default.  Type C-u C-h C-n again and specify a
different *minor* version at the prompt (for example, from
30.1 to 30.2).  Note that the outlined version does not
change in the NEWS file.

This behavior also applies across different *major* versions
of Emacs.

   C-h n
   C-u C-h C-n
   Read NEWS for the version: 29.2 RET
   (NEWS for version 29.2 is displayed)

   C-u C-h C-n
   Read NEWS for the version: 30.2 RET
   (NEWS for version 30.1 is still displayed)

   C-u C-h C-n
   Read NEWS for the version: 29.1 RET
   (NEWS for version 29.2 is still displayed)

(It is not specified that this command can only be used once
and it is not specified that it can be used repeatedly, so
this behavior might be an error or it might not.  If it is
documented one way or the other, then that could eliminate
this ambiguity.)

-- 
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.
- Geoffrey Chaucer, The Parliament of Birds.