Subject: 30.1; Strange reference to "Emacs 10.31" in fileio.c
From: Ulrich Müller <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2025 18:43:36 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Fexpand_file_name has another copy below it in an #if 0 ... #endif
block, with the following comment:

/* PLEASE DO NOT DELETE THIS COMMENTED-OUT VERSION!
   This is the old version of expand-file-name, before it was thoroughly
   rewritten for Emacs 10.31.  We leave this version here commented-out,
   because the code is very complex and likely to have subtle bugs.  If
   bugs _are_ found, it might be of interest to look at the old code and
   see what did it do in the relevant situation.

   Don't remove this code: it's true that it will be accessible
   from the repository, but a few years from deletion, people will
   forget it is there.  */

Maybe I am missing something, but I believe there never was an
Emacs 10.31. Version numbers went from 1.1 to 1.12; then the first
component was dropped and versions continued from 13.

So I looked into the history: The commented-out code existed already
in version 19.7 (but not in 18.59). It was then removed on 2001-10-22
and restored on 2001-10-25 in commit 4887597a1c52 by Eli, who also
added the above comment.

tl;dr Could the version reference be changed to "Emacs 19"?