Subject: GIMP startup crash on minimal xorg/wm unless gtk+ in profile
From: Runciter <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 May 2025 15:34:39 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Guix,

I've noticed that the new Gimp version 3.0.0 crashed on startup for me.
The error message is:

(gimp:5025): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 22:39:28.588: Settings schema 'org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser' is not installed
/gnu/store/vk8xddd7cr2dcsqjwvvyrhidg1brdsaq-gimp-3.0.0/lib/gimp/3.0/plug-ins/script-fu/script-fu: fatal error: GIMP crashed
Trace/breakpoint trap

Or a variant thereof.

This probably happens because my GUI is a relatively minimal Xorg + dwm.
If I install the package gtk+ onto my home profile, then Gimp 3.0.0
starts, and its file chooser apparently works.

Anyway, I don't want to have dbus in my profile anymore, and although
I've seen on the news that Gimp is now a full-blown Gtk app, it *still*
does not seem to want to play completely nice with my window
manager. Well, that is to say, its main window doesn't tile. So, I put
my foot down, no Gimp for Runciter in the near future.

Still, it occurs to me that gtk+ should probably be a propagated
input of gimp-3. Some Package(s) which probably have a similar run-time
dependency situation seem to proceed like this; such as zathura having a
propagated input to girara having a propagated input to gtk+.

I'm going to submit a patch, in case it is helpful.

Regards,
Runciter