Subject: 31.0.50; read file name completion generates wrong file name
From: Dieter Deyke <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 May 2025 19:55:43 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I am on Debian with a case sensitve file system. I have a directory
named "~/media/SANSA CLIPP". After starting emacs -Q and setting the
option Read File Name Completion Ignore Case to t,
I type C-x d ~/media/sa then press the Tab key. Emacs completes the
file name to ~/media/saNSA CLIPP/ which does not exist. In previous
versions of emacs the "sa" would have been corrected to "SA".

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.49, cairo version 1.18.4) of 2025-05-09 built on deyke2
Repository revision: e929d6df772e19d29b6e396e3a3330d4c9d7fe21
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101016
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr/local/emacs'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINERAMA XINPUT2 XPM
XRANDR GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Custom

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug lisp-mnt message mailcap yank-media puny
rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils dired dired-loaddefs time-date
subr-x etags fileloop generator xref project byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile ring tabify apropos cus-edit pp cus-start cus-load wid-edit
warnings icons cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk
x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process
tty-child-frames emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 79089 9698) (symbols 48 8520 0) (strings 32 21152 1757)
 (string-bytes 1 526951) (vectors 16 14217)
 (vector-slots 8 151635 12490) (floats 8 29 1) (intervals 56 377 0)
 (buffers 1064 13))

-- 
Dieter Deyke
mailto:[email-masked]
Get my Gnupg key:
gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys B116EA20