Subject: 30.0.50; thai-pattachote input method is missing characters?
From: Robert Nikander <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2025 16:51:09 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi, 

I've been learning how to read Thai. I tried the input method `thai-pattachote`. I'm a beginner so not 100% sure about this, but it seems to be missing the character ฉ (THAI CHARACTER CHO CHING). Is that a bug? An input method should have all the characters in the alphabet, no?

When you do `describe-input-method` it shows you a keyboard, like this:

+----------------------------------------------------------------+
 | = + | ๒ " | ๓ / | ๔ , | ๕ ? | ู ุ | ๗ _ | ๘ . | ๙ ( | ๐ ) | ๑ - | ๖ % | ฃ ฅ |
+----------------------------------------------------------------+
   | ็ ๊ | ต ฤ | ย ๆ | อ ญ | ร ษ | ่ ึ | ด ฝ | ม ซ | ว ถ | แ ฒ | ใ ฯ | ฒ ฦ |
  +------------------------------------------------------------+
    | ้ ๋ | ท ธ | ง ำ | ก ณ | ั ์ | ี ื | า ผ | น ช | เ โ | ไ ฆ | ข ฑ | ฺ ํ |
   +-----------------------------------------------------------+
      | บ ฎ | ป ฎ | ล ฐ | ห ภ | ิ ั | ค ศ | ส ฮ | ะ ฟ | จ ฒ | พ ฬ |
     +-------------------------------------------------+

The character is not there. There may be more missing characters. This is just the first one I hit as I’m working through the alphabet. 

Rob

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.7.0, NS
 appkit-1671.60 Version 10.14.6 (Build 18G9323)) of 2023-06-26 built on
 builder10-14.lan
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2575
System Description:  macOS 15.4.1

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=no'

Configured features:
ACL GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER
PNG RSVG THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  org-bullets-mode: t
  org-indent-mode: t
  org-roam-db-autosync-mode: t
  ivy-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/emacsql-sqlite-module-20240415.1535/emacsql-sqlite-module hides /Users/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/emacsql-20240415.1535/emacsql-sqlite-module
/Users/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20230315.1520/transient hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort emacsbug hangul hanja-util descr-text crm face-remap
help-fns radix-tree thai-util thai-word cus-start quail misearch
multi-isearch mail-extr ffap tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell macrostep-c cmacexp
macrostep octave sh-script smie executable js c-ts-common imenu
slime-autodoc slime-parse cmake-mode rst python treesit nroff-mode
rust-utils rust-mode rust-rustfmt rust-playpen rust-compile rust-cargo
sql view conf-mode swift-mode swift-mode-imenu swift-mode-repl
swift-mode-beginning-of-defun swift-mode-font-lock
swift-mode-standard-types swift-mode-indent swift-mode-lexer
markdown-mode yasnippet cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs rng-xsd xsd-regexp
rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode
facemenu logview datetime vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher dired-aux
org-bullets org-indent oc-basic ol-eww eww url-queue mm-url ol-rmail
ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg
dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
message sendmail yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range ol-docview doc-view
filenotify jka-compr image-mode exif dired dired-loaddefs ol-bibtex
bibtex iso8601 ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi org-roam-migrate
org-roam-log org-roam-mode org-roam-capture org-roam-id org-roam-node
org-roam-db emacsql-sqlite-builtin sqlite org-roam-utils org-roam-compat
org-roam org-capture emacsql-sqlite emacsql-sqlite-common emacsql
emacsql-compiler magit-section compat dash org-download org-attach
url-http url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr url-gw nsm puny async org-extra-emphasis pcase htmlfontify
cus-edit cus-load wid-edit ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match
rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util
ox-latex ox-icalendar org-agenda ox-html table ox-ascii ox-publish ox
org-element org-persist xdg org-id org-refile avl-tree org ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities time-date
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol rx org-fold
org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs format-spec slime
easy-mmode apropos compile text-property-search etags fileloop generator
xref project arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline icons pp comint
ansi-osc ansi-color hyperspec thingatpt extmap bindat cap-words
superword subword ivy delsel ring ivy-faces ivy-overlay colir color
cl-extra help-mode use-package-ensure use-package-core desktop frameset
dap-mode-autoloads bui-autoloads emacsql-sqlite-module-autoloads
idris-mode-autoloads leaf-autoloads logview-autoloads datetime-autoloads
extmap-autoloads lsp-docker-autoloads lsp-ivy-autoloads
lsp-treemacs-autoloads lsp-ui-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads f-autoloads
magit-autoloads git-commit-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
ob-async-autoloads org-drill-autoloads org-roam-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads emacsql-autoloads persist-autoloads
prop-menu-autoloads racket-mode-autoloads realgud-recursive-autoloads
rust-mode-autoloads slime-autoloads macrostep-autoloads
sqlite3-autoloads transient-autoloads treemacs-autoloads cfrs-autoloads
posframe-autoloads ht-autoloads hydra-autoloads lv-autoloads
pfuture-autoloads ace-window-autoloads avy-autoloads s-autoloads
dash-autoloads with-editor-autoloads info compat-autoloads
yaml-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1463213 243662) (symbols 48 75269 19)
 (strings 32 268863 26350) (string-bytes 1 8738716)
 (vectors 16 107845) (vector-slots 8 2757941 118017)
 (floats 8 576 1947) (intervals 56 95729 650) (buffers 984 828))