Subject: 31.0.50; M-j regression since commit 4c6b1712a4d
From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2025 19:27:44 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

X-debbugs-cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]

1. emacs -q
2. C-x b foo RET
3. M-x emacs-lisp-mode RET
4. ;;;; hello M-j

Result is:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
;;;; hello|#
#|
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

but it should be

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
;;;; hello
;;;;
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

My first thought is that since multiline comments of this style are not
valid Emacs Lisp, we should just set block-comment-start and
block-comment-end to nil for emacs-lisp-mode.

However, the recipe provided above works if you do 'M-x lisp-mode RET'
instead.

Even though Common Lisp supports these block comments, if you are
already writing a semicolon-delimited comment, then M-j should continue
it, rather than starting a #| |# comment.

-- 
Sean Whitton