Subject: 31.0.50; package-quickstart-refresh --- Wrong type argument: char-or-string-p, nil
From: Fernando de Morais <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2025 09:51:48 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

To reproduce, which is possible with `emacs -Q', please evaluate the
following snippet:

(progn
  (package-initialize)
  (package-quickstart-refresh))

Results in:

  - An error is raised and in the `*Messages*' buffer is possible to see
    the message:

  "(setq package--quickstart-dir
        (file-name-directory (expand-file-name load-file-name)))

  save-current-buffer: Wrong type argument: char-or-string-p, nil"

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.49, cairo version 1.18.4) of 2025-04-09 built on sekai
Repository revision: 99a2cb05a41c66565d417e11e60f4324aaa5c5b5
Repository branch: makepkg
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --with-pgtk --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fstack-clash-protection
 -fcf-protection -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer -g
 -ffile-prefix-map=/home/fernando/Documentos/Projetos/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug/emacs-git
 -flto=auto' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,--as-needed
 -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-z,now -Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: pt_BR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  citar-embark-mode: t
  flymake-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  hl-line-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  icomplete-vertical-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  goto-address-prog-mode: t
  consult-denote-mode: t
  denote-menu-bar-mode: t
  minions-mode: t
  movemail-auto-fetch-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  global-pulse-line-mode: t
  pulse-line-mode: t
  mode-line-visible-bell-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  gcmh-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
  hs-minor-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug edebug consult-imenu log-view log-edit add-log
pcvs-util etags fileloop eglot external-completion jsonrpc ert ewoc
debug backtrace imenu cl-print shell finder-inf misearch multi-isearch
gnus-html modus-operandi-theme mailalias smtpmail qp dabbrev org-agenda
consult-org conf-mode citar-capf citar-embark embark-org embark-consult
embark citar citar-file citar-cache citar-format parsebib image-file
image-converter org-indent oc-basic network-stream url-http url-gw nsm
url-cache url-auth ol-eww eww-lnum eww vtable url-queue ol-rmail ol-mhe
ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect ol-docview doc-view filenotify
image-mode exif ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi
oc-bibtex ob-octave org-superstar org-element org-persist org-id
org-refile org-element-ast inline avl-tree generator org-contrib org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src mode-local
sh-script smie treesit executable ob-comint org-pcomplete pcmpl-args
pcmpl-gnu pcmpl-linux pcmpl-unix pcomplete org-list org-footnote
org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table
ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs holidays
holiday-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat
org-macs shortdoc help-fns radix-tree footnote jka-compr smiley
gnus-cite mm-archive mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping
ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check gnus-bcklg sort gnus-ml
disp-table nnatom nnfeed nnmaildir nnagent nnml nnnil nnrss mm-url
gnus-topic mairix ecomplete gnus-search eieio-opt speedbar ezimage
dframe find-func gnus-dup gnus-draft nndraft nnmh gnus-demon gnus-async
comp comp-cstr gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig nntp
gnus-cache gnus-sum shr-tag-pre-highlight language-detection shr
pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time
iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr cape-keyword cape
whitespace vc diff noutline outline vc-git diff-mode track-changes
files-x vc-dispatcher bug-reference mule-util pulse color face-remap
view flymake-languagetool time-date checkdoc lisp-mnt flymake
display-line-numbers epa-file epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
flyspell ispell hl-line hideshow corfu rainbow-delimiters ffap elec-pair
recentf tree-widget delsel so-long winner icomplete mb-depth
minibuf-eldef savehist marginalia cus-start auth-source-pass server
goto-addr thingatpt consult-denote denote dired-x dired-aux dired
dired-loaddefs xref project consult bookmark minions let-alist pcase
ibuf-macs orderless compat windmove time cl-extra help-mode edmacro
kmacro bind-key easy-mmode warnings format-spec battery dbus compile
text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring comp-run
comp-common xml gcmh system-packages site-start auctex-autoloads
tex-site bbdb-csv-import-autoloads bbdb-autoloads cape-autoloads
citar-embark-autoloads citar-autoloads citeproc-autoloads
consult-denote-autoloads consult-dir-autoloads consult-eglot-autoloads
corfu-autoloads csv-mode-autoloads denote-autoloads dired-du-autoloads
diredfl-autoloads edit-indirect-autoloads elpher-autoloads
embark-consult-autoloads consult-autoloads embark-autoloads
emms-autoloads engrave-faces-autoloads erc-image-autoloads
eww-lnum-autoloads fennel-mode-autoloads flymake-languagetool-autoloads
flyspell-correct-autoloads gcmh-autoloads gemini-mode-autoloads
htmlize-autoloads ibuffer-tramp-autoloads ibuffer-vc-autoloads
lua-mode-autoloads marginalia-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
minions-autoloads nov-autoloads esxml-autoloads kv-autoloads
ob-sagemath-autoloads olivetti-autoloads orderless-autoloads
org-contrib-autoloads org-superstar-autoloads ox-gemini-autoloads
parsebib-autoloads pass-autoloads f-autoloads dash-autoloads
password-store-otp-autoloads password-store-autoloads
pcmpl-args-autoloads pcsv-autoloads pdf-tools-autoloads
platformio-mode-autoloads async-autoloads projectile-autoloads
pyvenv-autoloads queue-autoloads rainbow-delimiters-autoloads
rainbow-mode-autoloads rec-mode-autoloads s-autoloads
sage-shell-mode-autoloads rx deferred-autoloads
shr-tag-pre-highlight-autoloads language-detection-autoloads
string-inflection-autoloads sxhkdrc-mode-autoloads
system-packages-autoloads tablist-autoloads transmission-autoloads info
with-editor-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads
modus-vivendi-tinted-theme modus-themes package browse-url xdg url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cus-edit pp cus-load
icons wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win touch-screen pgtk-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process
tty-child-frames native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1821359 472715) (symbols 48 51658 14) (strings 32 327218 63723)
 (string-bytes 1 11929259) (vectors 16 311488) (vector-slots 8 2975518 645031)
 (floats 8 91676 2431) (intervals 56 58421 4422) (buffers 992 48))

-- 
Regards,
Fernando de Morais.