Subject: Re: bug#77257: inhibit-message should inhibit echo area clearing too
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2025 10:47:14 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>,  Andrea
>  Corallo <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2025 11:01:33 -0400
> 
> > That said, if everyone else (CC'ed) think I'm too cautious, I will
> > make t inhibit clearing the echo-area as well.
> 
> I'm in favor of the change.  I think it's very odd that (message "Haha")
> ends up just clearing the echo area.  To me, the purpose of
> `inhibit-message` is not to hide the messages that would be displayed
> but to prevent those messages from interfering with other messages.

So we have two in favor and none against.  So I've now installed a
change that will disable clearing of echo-area messages when
inhibit-message is non-nil, and I'm closing this bug.