Subject: 29.4; ERC 5.5.0.29.1: ERC Manual does not mention usage of .pem client certificates
From: Archie Halliwell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2025 14:43:32 +1100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

The ERC Manual does not explain how to use .pem client certificates,
only how to use the combination of a .crt certificate and .key private
key. This is confusing as Libera.Chat's CertFP instructions only mention
the use of a .pem file, instructing users on how to create an
appropriate one.

The manual should really mention that a .pem file can be used as both
files in the client-certificate list.

When I was trying to set up CertFP I ended up trying to create a .crt
and .key from the .pem I had previously created, and could not connect
using them (presumably I had not created them properly). I imagine that
other users have run into this issue in the past, and have either given
up or had to ask for help on #erc as I did.

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, Motif Version 2.3.8,
cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-10-03 built on localhost
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12401004
System Description: Gentoo Linux

Configured using:
'configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
--host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
--infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
--localstatedir=/var/lib --datarootdir=/usr/share
--disable-silent-rules --docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-29.4
--htmldir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-29.4/html --libdir=/usr/lib64
--program-suffix=-emacs-29 --includedir=/usr/include/emacs-29
--infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-29 --localstatedir=/var
--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
--without-compress-install --without-hesiod --without-pop
--with-file-notification=inotify --with-pdumper --enable-acl
--with-dbus --without-modules --without-gameuser --with-libgmp
--with-gpm --without-native-compilation --without-json --with-kerberos
--with-kerberos5 --with-lcms2 --without-xml2 --without-mailutils
--without-selinux --without-sqlite3 --with-gnutls --without-libsystemd
--with-threads --without-tree-sitter --without-wide-int
--with-sound=alsa --with-zlib --with-x --without-pgtk --without-ns
--without-gconf --without-gsettings --without-toolkit-scroll-bars
--with-xpm --with-xft --with-cairo --without-harfbuzz --without-libotf
--without-m17n-flt --with-x-toolkit=motif --with-gif --with-jpeg
--with-png --with-rsvg --with-tiff --without-webp --without-imagemagick
--with-dumping=pdumper 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe -march=native -fno-fast-math
-ffp-contract=off' CPPFLAGS= 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed
-Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM JPEG LCMS2 NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2
XPM MOTIF ZLIB

Important settings:
value of $LC_MONETARY: en_AU.UTF-8
value of $LANG: en_AU.utf8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ERC

Minor modes in effect:
erc-list-mode: t
erc-menu-mode: t
erc-autojoin-mode: t
erc-ring-mode: t
erc-pcomplete-mode: t
erc-track-mode: t
erc-track-minor-mode: t
erc-match-mode: t
erc-button-mode: t
erc-fill-mode: t
erc-stamp-mode: t
erc-netsplit-mode: t
erc-irccontrols-mode: t
erc-noncommands-mode: t
erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
erc-readonly-mode: t
erc-networks-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
indent-tabs-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils shortdoc text-property-search erc-ibuffer ibuf-ext ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs erc-log erc-notify erc-page erc-services erc-sound
erc-speedbar speedbar ezimage dframe erc-xdcc erc-dcc help-fns
radix-tree help-mode gnutls network-stream puny nsm erc-list erc-menu
erc-join erc-ring erc-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color
ring erc-track erc-match erc-button browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap wid-edit erc-fill
erc-stamp erc-netsplit erc-goodies erc iso8601 time-date auth-source
cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map thingatpt
pp format-spec cl-loaddefs cl-lib erc-backend erc-networks byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile erc-common erc-compat erc-loaddefs rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo motif x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 110605 7861)
(symbols 48 11818 0)
(strings 32 37138 2697)
(string-bytes 1 1036615)
(vectors 16 21308)
(vector-slots 8 266009 7336)
(floats 8 106 22)
(intervals 56 630 236)
(buffers 976 16))