Subject: Re: [bug#76246] [PATCH v5 6/6] gnu: g-golf: Redefine as a non-deprecated alias.
From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>, Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2025 00:51:19 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Pushed as db172d1f64a514babc9a2e4fd11fe8fe248e306e.

* Added Tobias’ comment on the alias g-golf compromise.
  I was at first inclined to drop the whole alias patch,
  since David Pirotte did not respond on it, but the alias
  is in Guix now.

* Changed synopses and descriptions to be closer to what David Pirotte
  wrote.  This means the synopsis no longer says “in Guile”, but
  surprisingly, it does not negatively affect its search score with
  “guix search guile gtk”.  However, I wrote "G-Golf GTK 4 examples"
  instead of David’s "G-Golf Gtk-4 Examples".

* In g-golf-adw-1-examples, I wrapped GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE rather
  than GUIX_GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILES, so it builds on the master
  branch.  The main demo adwaita-1-demo does not work on master yet,
  libadwaita is too old.  I plan to rewrite the wrapping when
  GUIX_GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILES is on master or rather 宋文武’s GCD [1]
  is accepted.

I would much welcome if G-Golf, AFAIK the only currently maintained
and comprehensive library to access GTK and perhaps better Libadwaita
in Guile, were put to use in Guix itself, as Maxim writes, but I will
not be of help.

Regards,
Florian

[1] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-consensus-documents.git/plain/004-set-search-paths-without-program-wrappers.md?h=wip-set-search-paths-without-program-wrappers
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2025-02/msg00007.html