Subject: Re: M-. complains that TAGS file is missing, and refuse to continue
From: Konstantin Kharlamov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2025 00:47:45 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Once Emacs has visited a tags file, it insists on it always being
> present, even if I happen to, e.g., remove the entire directory.
>
> A better approach would be to turn the error message into a prompt
> "File foo no longer exists!  Ignore? (y or n)" and remove that tags
> file from the list of tags file it uses.

Fixed with commit

      eb12b6d Avoid infinite questions if TAGS file was removed

should be in an upcoming Emacs release (version string says 31.0.50, so I presume
since Emacs 31).

I searched if anyone has ever reported this, and this is the only case I found.
Apparently, no one really cared for the problem, but I fixed it anyway as it was easy
to do 😊

So, enjoy this in the new upcoming release! (or you can just override the function
`tags-verify-table` in your init file).