Subject: 23.0.60; doc for temp-buffer-show-hook

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 13:32:32 -0700

emacs -Q
 
The doc string and Elisp manual both say exactly the same thing for
`temp-buffer-show-hook'. This part of that text should be removed:
 
"This hook is normally set up with a function to make
the buffer read only, and find function names and variable names
in it, provided the major mode is Help mode."
 
It's just not true. Looking at the Emacs source code that sets
`temp-buffer-show-hook', not to mention third-party code that sets it,
this part of the text is not appropriate. "Normally" does not apply
here, and neither does "typically" or anything else.
 
All that should be said is said in the first part of the text: "Normal
hook run by `with-output-to-temp-buffer' after displaying the buffer.
When the hook runs, the temporary buffer is current, and the window it
was displayed in is selected." You can use it for anything you want
to.
 
Also, the manual just duplicates the doc string verbatim. Is there
nothing else to say?

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2008-08-01 on LENNART-69DE564
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/g/include
-fno-crossjumping'