Subject: [PATCH] * lisp/files.el (auto-mode-alist): Include gdbinit too
From: Björn Bidar <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2024 16:19:59 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Tags: patch

Include gdbinit inside auto-mode-alist.
Since gdb 11.1 it's the preferred  name of gdbinit.

Please also include into Emacs 30 if possible.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.43, cairo version 1.18.2)
Repository revision: eaf5bf736e1dd5eb977a16a3f1b3dfd3da3c4612
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101014
System Description: openSUSE Tumbleweed

Configured using:
 'configure --disable-build-details --without-pop --with-mailutils
 --without-hesiod --with-gameuser=:games --with-kerberos
 --with-kerberos5 --with-file-notification=inotify --with-modules
 --enable-autodepend --enable-link-time-optimization --prefix=/usr
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share
 --localstatedir=/var --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --with-file-notification=yes
 --libdir=/usr/lib64 --with-native-compilation=aot
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x --with-xim --with-sound --with-xpm --with-jpeg --with-tiff
 --with-gif --with-png --with-rsvg --with-dbus --with-xft --without-gpm
 --with-tree-sitter --with-x-toolkit=gtk --without-pgtk
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --x-includes=/usr/include
 --x-libraries=/usr/lib64 --with-libotf --with-m17n-flt --with-cairo
 --build=x86_64-suse-linux --with-dumping=pdumper
 build_alias=x86_64-suse-linux 'CC=sccache cc' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -Wall
 -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -fstack-protector-strong
 -funwind-tables -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection
 -Werror=return-type -flto=auto -march=znver3 -mmmx -mpopcnt -msse
 -msse2 -msse3 -mssse3 -msse4.1 -msse4.2 -mavx -mavx2 -msse4a -mno-fma4
 -mno-xop -mfma -mbmi -mbmi2 -maes -mpclmul -mno-gfni -mvpclmulqdq
 -mno-3dnow -madx -mabm -mno-cldemote -mclflushopt -mclwb -mclzero
 -mcx16 -mno-enqcmd -mf16c -mfsgsbase -mfxsr -mno-hle -msahf -mno-lwp
 -mlzcnt -mmovbe -mno-movdir64b -mno-movdiri -mmwaitx -mno-pconfig -mpku
 -mprfchw -mno-ptwrite -mrdpid -mrdrnd -mrdseed -mno-rtm -mno-serialize
 -mno-sgx -msha -mshstk -mno-tbm -mno-tsxldtrk -mvaes -mno-waitpkg
 -mwbnoinvd -mxsave -mxsavec -mxsaveopt -mxsaves -mno-amx-tile
 -mno-amx-int8 -mno-amx-bf16 -mno-uintr -mno-hreset -mno-kl -mno-widekl
 -mno-avxvnni -mno-avxifma -mno-avxvnniint8 -mno-avxneconvert
 -mno-cmpccxadd -mno-amx-fp16 -mno-prefetchi -mno-raoint
 -mno-amx-complex --param l1-cache-size=32 --param l1-cache-line-size=64
 --param l2-cache-size=512 -mtune=znver3 -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -O2
 -Wall -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -fstack-protector-strong
 -funwind-tables -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection
 -Werror=return-type -flto=auto -g -D_GNU_SOURCE
 -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS -DGLIB_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS
 -pipe -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-label
 -DPDMP_BASE='\''"emacs-gtk"'\''' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O2 'CXX=sccache c++'
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

From 1ba2ce9320513efa0fb4b2d6a5022bb9d635af68 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: =?UTF-8?q?Bj=C3=B6rn=20Bidar?= <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2024 16:07:34 +0200
Subject: [PATCH] * lisp/files.el (auto-mode-alist): Include gdbinit too

Since gdb 11.1 .gdbinit can be also called gdbinit saved inside
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME or $HOME/Library/Preferences/gdb on Apple Hosts.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnu/2021-09/msg00007.html
---
 lisp/files.el | 5 +++--
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/lisp/files.el b/lisp/files.el
index 9f13804540b..6fe037f30e7 100644
--- a/lisp/files.el
+++ b/lisp/files.el
@@ -3001,11 +3001,12 @@ auto-mode-alist
      ("\\.css\\'" . css-mode)
      ("\\.mixal\\'" . mixal-mode)
      ("\\.gcov\\'" . compilation-mode)
-     ;; Besides .gdbinit, gdb documents other names to be usable for init
+     ;; gdbinit can be gdbinit or .gdbinit the exact prefix does not matter.
+     ;; Besides gdbinit, gdb documents other names to be usable for init
      ;; files, cross-debuggers can use something like
      ;; .PROCESSORNAME-gdbinit so that the host and target gdbinit files
      ;; don't interfere with each other.
-     ("/\\.[a-z0-9-]*gdbinit" . gdb-script-mode)
+     ("/[.a-z0-9-]*gdbinit" . gdb-script-mode)
      ;; GDB 7.5 introduced OBJFILE-gdb.gdb script files; e.g. a file
      ;; named 'emacs-gdb.gdb', if it exists, will be automatically
      ;; loaded when GDB reads an objfile called 'emacs'.
-- 
2.47.1