Subject: Re: bug#73415: 30.0.91; Emacs 30 build fails on Ubuntu 24.04
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Mark Grosen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2024 09:32:59 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Mark Grosen <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2024 20:29:06 -0700
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> >> OK, so the decision is indeed not to try solving this on emacs-30.  I
> >> wasn't sure.
> 
> > That was my understanding at least, as we could not find a simple
> > fix/workaround with limited impact we could install in emacs-30.  Of
> > course if you have a different suggestion please voice it.
> 
> Thanks for the feedback. I know how to build more efficiently now, so my
> issue is closed.

Thanks, closing the bug.

> I will leave it to you if this warrants a line in the changelog or
> INSTALL.repo.

We might do that, but I'd first need to understand better your reasons
for using "make bootstrap" when building from a tarball.  The Emacs
release and pretest tarballs are intentionally prepared to make the
build as fast as possible, which is why all the platform-independent
files produced by bootstrapping (notably, the configure script, all
the *.elc files, and all the Info manuals) are included in the
tarball.  So why did you decide to bootstrap?