Subject: [PATCH] Include the variable name in the `setopt` warning
From: Okamsn <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2024 00:23:00 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

The attached patch adds the variable name to the `setopt` warning.

I write my Emacs config in an Org file, from which I make the Emacs Lisp 
file.  Currently, if `setopt` detects that the value I wish to make a 
variable hold does not conform to the variable's Custom.el type, then it 
reports the type and the problematic value, but not the variable itself, 
when I open Emacs.  This adds extra steps to editing the code in the Org 
file to fix the warning, especially when the value is created 
programmatically.  It would be faster to search for the variable name 
directly in the Org file and to then re-tangle the Org file.

Thank you.

From 7cc7134b1b751428b7c14a0b54f55193a59363b1 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Earl Hyatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2024 20:04:24 -0400
Subject: [PATCH] Include the variable name in the warning in `setopt--set'.

Including the variable name makes it easier to find the location of the
error.

* lisp/cus-edit.el (setopt--set): Include the variable name in the
warning.
---
 lisp/cus-edit.el | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/lisp/cus-edit.el b/lisp/cus-edit.el
index 9f5ac47490c..035499deb71 100644
--- a/lisp/cus-edit.el
+++ b/lisp/cus-edit.el
@@ -1072,7 +1072,7 @@ setopt--set
   ;; Check that the type is correct.
   (when-let ((type (get variable 'custom-type)))
     (unless (widget-apply (widget-convert type) :match value)
-      (warn "Value `%S' does not match type %s" value type)))
+      (warn "`%s': Value `%S' does not match type %s" variable value type)))
   (put variable 'custom-check-value (list value))
   (funcall (or (get variable 'custom-set) #'set-default) variable value))
 
-- 
2.34.1