Subject: Building emacs-yaml with emacs takes approximately eternity
From: Tomas Volf <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2024 23:01:03 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The emacs-yaml package is configured to build against emacs-minimal,
which seems to work.  When you however switch to emacs package, it takes
way to long to build, much longer than compiling for example firefox
package.  That feels off.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ time guix time-machine -q --commit=b8327cb31199fb9f4ebed6c53a59601d41def5a1 -- build --check --no-grafts -q --with-input=emacs-minimal=emacs-minimal emacs-yaml
/gnu/store/8lqdd8yna92zqgsgip396a1wbyhr5pfn-emacs-yaml-0.5.5
12.573 secs
$ time guix time-machine -q --commit=b8327cb31199fb9f4ebed6c53a59601d41def5a1 -- build --check --no-grafts -q --with-input=emacs-minimal=emacs emacs-yaml
/gnu/store/ja9xfndhfafjczp6n7qfy1h21hvdpd5j-emacs-yaml-0.5.5
2869.878 secs
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

The difference is huge.  The process taking vast majority of the time
(in the emacs version) is this one:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
32393 guixbuil 47:10 {.emacs-29.4-rea} /gnu/store/y7yhpgi48klqpadrmfknl4bln9c4n05y-emacs-29.4/bin/emacs -no-comp-spawn -Q --batch -l /tmp/guix-build-emacs-yaml-0.5.5.drv-0/emacs-int-comp-yaml-pbHFU3.el
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I do not know enough to even guess what could be the problem, but it was
suggested I should bug-report this.

Cheers,
Tomas

-- 
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.