Subject: view-mode clobbers speedbar bindings
From: Ryan Twitchell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 20:03:10 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

A number of speedbar's bindings, such as 'n' and 'p', do not work with
view-mode enabled in the speedbar buffer (which makes no sense anyway). 
This is relevant when view-read-only is set, causing speedbar-mode to
implicitly enable view-mode.

For my part, I have redefined speedbar-mode in my .emacs file as follows:

(require 'speedbar)
(defvar real-speedbar-mode #'speedbar-mode)
(defun speedbar-mode ()
  (let ((view-read-only nil))
    (funcall #'real-speedbar-mode)))

This appears to solve the problem.  speedbar-mode calls
toggle-read-only; binding view-read-only to nil around that call should
be a more permanent fix.

M-x emacs-version
GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1) of
2010-09-26 on falconsrevenge

Thanks,
Ryan Twitchell