Subject: hui:menu-choose: Wrong type argument: characterp, 176160776
From: Philipp Ludwig <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2024 14:48:33 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Since upgrading to Emacs 29.4, I get this error when using opening the 
Hyperbole menu and choosing any option:2

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument characterp 176160776)
   hui:menu-item(66 nil nil nil (("Hy9.0.1>") ("Act" hui:hbut-act 
"Activate button at point or prompt for a labeled b...") ("Butfile/" 
(menu . butfile) "Quick access button files menus.") ("Cust/" (menu . 
cust) "Customize Hyperbole by setting major options.") ("Doc/" (menu . 
doc) "Quick access to Hyperbole documentation.") ("Ebut/" (menu . ebut) 
"Explicit button commands.") ("Find/" (menu . find) "Find matching line 
commands.") ("Gbut/" (menu . gbut) "Global button commands.") ("Hist" 
hhist:pop "Jumps back to location prior to last Hyperbole but...") 
("Ibut/" (menu . ibut) "Implicit button and button type commands.") 
("Kotl/" (menu . kotl) "Autonumbered outlining and hyperlink 
capabilities.") ("Msg/" (menu . msg) "Mail and News messaging 
capabilities.") ("Rolo/" (menu . hyrolo) "Hierarchical, multi-file rolo 
lookup and edit comm...") ("Screen/" (menu . screen) "Screen display 
management commands.") ("Win/" (menu . win) "Window configuration 
management commands.")))
   hui:menu-choose((("Hy9.0.1>") ("Act" hui:hbut-act "Activate button at 
point or prompt for a labeled b...") ("Butfile/" (menu . butfile) "Quick 
access button files menus.") ("Cust/" (menu . cust) "Customize Hyperbole 
by setting major options.") ("Doc/" (menu . doc) "Quick access to 
Hyperbole documentation.") ("Ebut/" (menu . ebut) "Explicit button 
commands.") ("Find/" (menu . find) "Find matching line commands.") 
("Gbut/" (menu . gbut) "Global button commands.") ("Hist" hhist:pop 
"Jumps back to location prior to last Hyperbole but...") ("Ibut/" (menu 
. ibut) "Implicit button and button type commands.") ("Kotl/" (menu . 
kotl) "Autonumbered outlining and hyperlink capabilities.") ("Msg/" 
(menu . msg) "Mail and News messaging capabilities.") ("Rolo/" (menu . 
hyrolo) "Hierarchical, multi-file rolo lookup and edit comm...") 
("Screen/" (menu . screen) "Screen display management commands.") 
("Win/" (menu . win) "Window configuration management commands.")) nil 
nil)
   hui:menu-act(hyperbole nil nil nil)
   hyperbole(nil nil nil nil)
   funcall-interactively(hyperbole nil nil nil nil)
   command-execute(hyperbole)

I tried versions 9.0.1 from elpa and 20240811.524 from melpa - same 
issue. Is there anything else I can try?