Subject: GConf errors when emacs is launched as root via "su"
From: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Vincent Lefevre <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 22:39:40 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Launching an emacs built with gconf support as root via "su" (not "su
-"), produces this error:

  # emacs --version
  GNU Emacs 23.2.1
  Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
  GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
  You may redistribute copies of Emacs
  under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
  For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

  # emacs -Q
  GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible
  causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you
  have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See
  http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: Failed
  to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes
  include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus
  security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the
  network connection was broken.)

Is this the expected behavior?

The original report can be found here:

  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=595036

(If possible, please maintain the [email-masked]
 address in any replies.)

Thanks
-- 
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org
GPG as of 2002-11-03 14DD 432F AE39 534D B592 F9A0 25C8 D377 8C7E 73A4