Subject: Re: bug#72313: 31.0.50; Warning about cl-member possibly being undefined when using cl-pushnew
From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
To: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Stefan Monnier via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2024 19:44:26 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Arash Esbati <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Arash,

>> Let's just require cl-lib.  declare-function only silences the
>> byte-compiler and the usage of cl-member at runtime is a fact; no
>> cheating allowed.  It's also an implementation detail we should not
>> bother with.
>
> I'm not sure if this is cheating, but I'm easy, and if we want to
> require cl-lib, I'd do it in tex.el which is loaded by all
> <mode-name>.el files; so basically:

Yes, I've done something along those lines (and also required the very
small subr-x).  AUCTeX is traditionally very conservative with
dependencies but we should not limit ourselves by not using basic emacs
functions in the common libs like cl-lib, seq, or subr-x.

I'm closing this report.  Thanks for the explanations, Stefan & Eli.

Bye,
  Tassilo