Subject: fails to build emacs from master
From: John ff <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2024 22:10:41 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I regularly pull the latest emacs from maser source, and compile.
n the last few days this has not worked.  First error was missing
makefile.in but I have failed to find a way to compile.
I tried make bootstrap which has solved many such problems.
From git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs
   38ce85c547c..d826240fa56  master     -> origin/master
   235b9e85a67..9625e4af994  emacs-30   -> origin/emacs-30
Updating 38ce85c547c..d826240fa56
Fast-forward
 etc/NEWS                               | 20 +++++++++++++++
 lisp/emacs-lisp/checkdoc.el            | 42 ++++++++++++++++++-------------
 lisp/emacs-lisp/lisp-mnt.el            | 47 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++--------
 lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el             | 13 +++-------
 test/lisp/emacs-lisp/lisp-mnt-tests.el | 13 ++++++++++
 5 files changed, 98 insertions(+), 37 deletions(-)
make actual-all || make advice-on-failure make-target=all exit-status=$?
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs'
make -C lib all
make -C doc/lispref info
make -C doc/lispintro info
make -C doc/emacs info
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/doc/lispintro'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'info'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/doc/lispintro'
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/doc/lispref'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'info'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/doc/lispref'
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/doc/emacs'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'info'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/doc/emacs'
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/lib'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/lib'
make -C lib-src all
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/lib-src'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/lib-src'
make -C src BIN_DESTDIR=''/usr/local/bin/'' \
         ELN_DESTDIR='/usr/local/lib64/emacs/31.0.50/' all
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/src'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'filelock.c', needed by 'gl-stamp'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/src'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:554: src] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs'
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs'
***
*** "make all" failed with exit status 2.

essage sent froma slighty older working emacs 

In GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.34, cairo version 1.16.0)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: openSUSE Leap 15.5

Recent messages:
Zap to char: d
kill-region: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *GNU Emacs*>
s is undefined
command-execute: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *GNU Emacs*> [2 times]
r is undefined
e is undefined
p is undefined
o is undefined
scroll-down-command: Beginning of buffer [2 times]
funcall-interactively: End of buffer

Configured using:
 'configure --disable-build-details --with-pop --without-hesiod
 --with-gameuser=:games --with-kerberos --with-kerberos5
 --with-file-notification=inotify --with-modules --enable-autodepend
 --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --datadir=/usr/share --localstatedir=/var --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/share/emacs/27.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x --with-xim --with-sound --with-xpm --with-jpeg --with-tiff
 --with-gif --with-png --with-rsvg --with-dbus --with-xft
 --without-gpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --x-includes=/usr/include --x-libraries=/usr/lib64 --with-libotf
 --with-m17n-flt --with-cairo --with-xwidgets
 --build=x86_64-suse-linux --with-dumping=pdumper
 'CFLAGS=-fmessage-length=0 -grecord-gcc-switches -O2 -Wall
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fstack-protector-strong -funwind-tables
 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -g
 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS
 -DGLIB_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS -pipe -Wno-pointer-sign
 -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-label -fno-optimize-sibling-calls
 -fno-PIE -DSYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA=55000
 -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=10000 -DPDMP_BASE='\''"emacs-gtk"'\'''
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-no-pie -Wl,-O2''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT
LIBOTF ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS
XWIDGETS LIBSYSTEMD JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: POSIX
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/lilypond-init hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/lilypond-init
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/lilypond-words hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-words
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/lilypond-what-beat hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-what-beat
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/lilypond-song hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-song
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/lilypond-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-mode
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/lilypond-init hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-init
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/lilypond-indent hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-indent
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/lilypond-font-lock hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-font-lock
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/po-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/po-mode
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/po-compat hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/po-compat

Features:
(shadow flyspell mailalias emacsbug message rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa
derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search time-date subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils image-file view
mule-util cal-china cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew cal-julian lunar
solar cal-dst appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs holidays hol-loaddefs
cal-menu easymenu calendar cal-loaddefs time paren preview-latex
auto-loads tex-site ispell delsel lpr easy-mmode pcase tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet
lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
xwidget-internal cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 73213 4037)
 (symbols 48 7718 1)
 (strings 32 22820 1980)
 (string-bytes 1 791390)
 (vectors 16 12880)
 (vector-slots 8 193839 9690)
 (floats 8 564 719)
 (intervals 56 392 0)
 (buffers 1000 12))

==John ffitch