Subject: 29.4; `kill-compilation` does not kill compilation process on Windows
From: Tze Chian Kam <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2024 12:57:11 +1000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Steps to reproduce:
1) Open Emacs with `-q`.
2) Run a trivial file with an infinite loop with `M-x compile`

Expected outcome:
Should be able to kill the process with `M-x kill-compilation` or
`C-c C-k`.

Actual outcome:
`C-c C-k` is ignored and `M-x kill-compilation` is ran but does not
stop the process.

For now, I have a workaround to advice `compile` to interactive mode
(comint) and killing the process with `C-c C-\`. Is this a Windows
problem or my setup?

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2024-06-24 built on
 fv-az1388-367
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19045
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19045.4529)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/mingw64 --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --build=x86_64-w64-mingw32 --with-modules --without-dbus
 --without-compress-install --with-tree-sitter
 --with-native-compilation=aot 'CFLAGS=-march=nocona -msahf
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -Wno-error=implicit-function-declaration'
 CPPFLAGS=-D__USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO=1 'LDFLAGS= -lpthread''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Python

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date files-x shell pcomplete compile
text-property-search python project byte-opt pcase treesit comint
ansi-osc ring cl-loaddefs comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq
cl-macs gv cl-extra help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib ansi-color
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table
term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32 multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1087889 397416)
 (symbols 48 8942 4)
 (strings 32 27579 6087)
 (string-bytes 1 2338937)
 (vectors 16 20075)
 (vector-slots 8 394227 86836)
 (floats 8 42 93)
 (intervals 56 490863 319)
 (buffers 984 13))