Subject: 31.0.50; Links to minor mode variables bring to minor mode (the function)
From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2024 06:17:32 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When a minor-mode docstring doesn't specify what ARG does, a generic
mode is added to this docstring, this additional docstring is specified
in `easy-mmode--arg-docstring` and contains this sentence:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
To check whether the minor mode is enabled in the current buffer,
evaluate `%s'.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

When hitting RET on this link to the mode variable from the docstring,
the link brings back to this same docstring i.e. the function.

For example try C-h f bug-reference-mode and hit RET on the link to
`bug-reference-mode', it bring back to this same docstring.

A possible fix is specifying the word "variable" before the link in
`easy-mmode--arg-docstring`:

@@ -94 +94 @@
-evaluate `%s'.
+evaluate the variable `%s'.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2024-06-23 built on IPad-S340
Repository revision: 93088fc13c47fbab875f9ee173c0a66d623d91c6
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Linux Mint 21.3

Configured using:
 'configure CFLAGS=-O8 --bindir=/usr/local/sbin/emacs-30.0.50
 --with-cairo --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-modules
 --without-tree-sitter --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: 

Minor modes in effect:
  emms-mode-line-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-display-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-mode: t
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  psession-mode: t
  psession-savehist-mode: t
  global-git-gutter-mode: t
  git-gutter-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  tv-save-place-mode: t
  helm-epa-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  helm-top-poll-mode: t
  helm-adaptive-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-minibuffer-history-mode: t
  helm-ff-icon-mode: t
  helm-popup-tip-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  dired-async-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  gcmh-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/thierry/.emacs.d/elpa/all-the-icons-20240623.1800/all-the-icons hides ~/elisp/all-the-icons

Features:
(shadow epa-mail face-remap emacsbug whitespace view etags fileloop xref
add-log which-func helm-imenu cl-print shortdoc helm-command isl
tramp-sh image-file image-converter helm-emms cl-indent helm-ring
helm-dabbrev helm-elisp helm-eval edebug debug backtrace smerge-mode
diff helm-x-files helm-for-files helm-bookmark helm-info helm-firefox
gnus-bcklg gnus-async gnus-ml disp-table nndraft nnmh nnfolder epa-file
network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
nntp gnus-cache char-fold emms-config emms-idapi-browser emms-idapi
emms-idapi-musicbrainz emms-mpris emms-librefm-stream
emms-librefm-scrobbler emms-playlist-limit emms-i18n emms-history
emms-score emms-stream-info emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks
emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon emms-browser emms-volume
emms-volume-sndioctl emms-volume-mixerctl emms-volume-pulse
emms-volume-amixer emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine
emms-player-mpd tq emms-lyrics emms-url emms-streams emms-show-all
emms-tag-editor emms-tag-tracktag emms-mark emms-mode-line emms-cache
emms-info-native emms-info-native-spc emms-info-native-mp3
emms-info-native-ogg emms-info-native-opus emms-info-native-flac
emms-info-native-vorbis bindat emms-info-exiftool emms-info-tinytag
emms-info-metaflac emms-info-opusinfo emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mpv
emms-playing-time emms-info emms-later-do emms-player-mplayer
emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist emms-source-file locate
emms-setup emms emms-compat emms-auto helm-external helm-net ffap sort
gnus-cite smiley w3m-form w3m-symbol qp config-w3m w3m timezone w3m-hist
bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-fb tab-line w3m-proc
w3m-util mm-archive mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping
ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check addressbook-bookmark
tv-mu4e-config gnus-and-mu4e mu4e-patch mu4e-contrib eshell esh-cmd
esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-module-loaddefs
esh-util mu4e mu4e-org mu4e-notification notifications mu4e-main
smtpmail mu4e-view mu4e-mime-parts mu4e-headers mu4e-thread mu4e-actions
mu4e-compose mu4e-draft gnus-msg mu4e-search mu4e-lists mu4e-bookmarks
mu4e-mark mu4e-message flow-fill hl-line mu4e-contacts mu4e-update
mu4e-folders mu4e-context mu4e-query-items mu4e-server mu4e-modeline
mu4e-vars mu4e-helpers mu4e-config mu4e-window bookmark ido
mu4e-obsolete tramp-archive tramp-gvfs tramp-cache time-stamp zeroconf
helm-packages finder finder-inf lisp-mnt helm-ls-git vc-git diff-mode
track-changes vc vc-dispatcher emacs-news-mode yaml-mode make-mode
flymake-shellcheck cus-start flymake project oc-basic ol-eww eww
url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr
pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822
mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr ol-docview
doc-view jka-compr ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi
org-config ob-gnuplot ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt
rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex
ox-icalendar org-agenda ox-html table ox-ascii ox-publish ox org-element
org-persist org-id org-refile org-element-ast inline avl-tree generator
org-crypt org-protocol org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-macro org-src sh-script smie treesit executable ob-comint
org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities noutline
outline ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold
org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func org-version org-compat
org-macs bug-reference thingatpt naquadah-theme solar cal-dst holidays
holiday-loaddefs appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs server imenu psession frameset w3m-load pcase git-gutter
mule-util dired-extension time winner describe-variable help-fns
radix-tree tv-utils tv-save-place.el advice init-helm epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config helm-epa helm-descbinds cus-edit pp wid-edit helm-sys
helm-adaptive helm-mode helm-misc helm-files image-dired
image-dired-tags image-dired-external image-dired-util image-mode exif
filenotify tramp trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-message
tramp-compat xdg shell pcomplete parse-time iso8601 time-date
tramp-loaddefs helm-buffers all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces
data-material data-weathericons data-octicons data-fileicons
data-faicons data-alltheicons helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep
wgrep-helm wgrep grep compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc ring
helm-regexp format-spec ansi-color helm-utils helm-help helm-types
helm-extensions-autoloads helm-autoloads helm helm-global-bindings
helm-easymenu edmacro kmacro helm-core async-bytecomp helm-source
helm-multi-match helm-lib dired-async async dired-aux dired
dired-loaddefs mb-depth comp comp-cstr cl-extra help-mode warnings
comp-run comp-common rx avoid cus-load gcmh easy-mmode
all-the-icons-autoloads info ledger-mode-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2602107 5622919) (symbols 48 65656 240)
 (strings 32 490024 674181) (string-bytes 1 19815818)
 (vectors 16 134599) (vector-slots 8 2597984 1934944)
 (floats 8 4757 99540) (intervals 56 366321 504839) (buffers 984 169))
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

-- 
Thierry