Subject: 23.2.50; Include patch for distinguishing between left and right Alt keys on OSX
From: Jakub Turski <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 16:41:51 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

It's not a bug per se, rather a feature request.
Would it be possible to include this patch:
http://lists.aquamacs.org/pipermail/aquamacs-devel/2009-November/003853.html
in Gnu Emacs? It's only relevant for OSX, but makes life easier for
anyone who wants to use Emacs under OSX and uses a keyboard layout that
uses right Alt key as a modifier to input special characters. This is an
Aquamacs patch, and Aquamacs allows this:

;; Make right Meta a system modifier.
(setq ns-right-alternate-modifier nil)

which results in left Alt being interpreted by Aquamacs as Meta, and
right Alt being interpreted by operating system as keyboard
modifier. This allows me to use Polish keyboard layout without resorting
to unusual method of inputting Polish characters. It would be good if
other users, especially those that don't want to use Aquamacs because of
some of its modifications, can use this feature.

I've tried to naively apply this patch to current 23.2 sources, but
failed - apparently it has diverged too much by now. I don't think I
have both skills and time needed to modify this patch, but it looks
relatively simple, provided you know your way around Emacs source code.

Is there a chance to port and include this feature?

Thanks,

KT.

In GNU Emacs 23.2.50.2 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1038.32)
 of 2010-10-02 on imacoob.nerv.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
configured using `configure  '--with-ns''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: pl_PL.UTF-8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: pl_PL.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: C
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_IE.utf-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_IE.utf-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_IE.utf-8
  value of $LANG: en_IE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x 1 M-x r e p o r t - e m a <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc
time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1
hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug warnings disp-table whitespace
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win easymenu
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty emacs)