Subject: 24.2; Emacs cannot edit file with funny Unicode characters in the file name on Windows
From: Nils Gösche <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 21:52:05 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dear Sirs,

I keep a bunch of text files on my Windows 7 desktop containing my thoughts
about the solutions of chess problems I am trying to solve. Now, one of these
problems was composed by a Russian. So, I named the file Кузовков_Lösung.txt:
First the name of the Russian composer, then the German word for »solution«.
However, when I tried to edit that file in Emacs, I only got error messages,
probably because of the funny Unicode characters in the file name. (See below
for the exact wording of the messages.)

Another file with only English/German characters in the name,
Thorton_Lösung.txt, does not cause any trouble at all (oh, but it seems I
misspelled the name, actually).

(BTW, Notepad does not have any problems editing the same file. So, it is
not some weird, OS-related problem, either).

Regards,
Nils Gösche

======== End of bug report======

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
 of 2012-08-29 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_US
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: DEU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-x 
C-f d e s k <tab> K u s o w k o w _ L ö s u n g . t 
x t C-g <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-x C-f 
K u <backspace> <backspace> d e s k <tab> K u s o w 
k o s <backspace> w _ L ö s u n g . t x t <return> 
b l a r k <return> C-x C-s C-x k <return> C-z <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> d x f o i p g d 
o j g <return> C-x C-s <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> C-x k <return> y e s <return> C-z <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <return> C-x C-s <backspace> C-x C-s C-x 
k <return> C-z C-x k <return> C-z <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
C-x k <return> C-z C-x C-f d e s k <tab> k <tab> <backspace> 
<tab> <tab> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-2> <end> F a r k 
. <return> C-x C-s C-x k <return> y e s <return> C-z 
M-x M-x C-g M-x r e p o r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Wrote c:/Users/cartan/Desktop/Thorton_Lösung.txt
Saving file c:/Users/cartan/Desktop/Thorton_Lösung.txt...
Wrote c:/Users/cartan/Desktop/Thorton_Lösung.txt
(New file) [2 times]
Making completion list...
Mark set
Saving file c:/Users/cartan/Desktop/????????_Lösung.txt...
basic-save-buffer-2: Opening output file: invalid argument, c:/Users/cartan/Desktop/????????_Lösung.txt
completing-read-default: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer
Quit
Quit

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail regexp-opt rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils help-mode easymenu view eliserv doctor server time cl time-date
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp
w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)