Subject: Re: bug#70871: [PATCH v2 0/2] Show avatars from Libavatar.
From: Arun Isaac <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: Noé Lopez <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2025 02:31:12 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Noé,

Sorry for the long wait! I have pushed the patches with a few
modifications. Most significantly, I am defaulting to an identicon
instead of a 404. That way, we don't have to use the alt text as a
makeshift avatar. And, we get unique identicon avatars even if the first
letter of two people's names is the same.

With this patchset, we are now dependent on an external service for our
avatars. We should probably cache these avatars. But for now, maybe we
can just hope that the external service holds up! And, we should ideally
implement DNS lookups in guile-avatar to support federation. That's a
little project if you're up for it. ;-) Maybe the guile-dns library is
useful in this regard.

I'll redeploy the mumi instance on issues.guix.gnu.org in a day or so.

Thank you for your patience!
Arun