Subject: ERC not changing to buffers
From: Rahul Martim Juliato <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 22:31:30 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello there!

I am not completely sure this is a bug, but since some versions ago (I
am on emacs 29.3 for Linux), ERC stopped (what I use to remember) a
behaviour.

If I call ERC with  `M-x erc`, it connects, but keeps the buffer on the
background, and I have to manually switch to it.

The same with `/join #channel` and other commands.

I find it confusing and non-intuitive, it makes the user believe
something wrong happened. I come from the old school of iirc, Bitchx,
mIrc, and so on. I can´t remember ever seen such behaviour for issuing
IRC commands (even on ERC).

Is this a bug? A feature? Is there a custom variable to keep the old
behaviour?

Strangelly if someone `/query me` it pops up a buffer (for that I know
there's a switch). So, two sides of the same coin I guess?

If anyone could help me, I'd be more than happy.

Thanks.