Subject: [PATCH] Call custom folding functions with consistent point
From: Paul Nelson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 07:47:33 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

As you know, one way to customize TeX-fold-mode is to supply functions
to the variables TeX-fold-*-spec-list, which are then called by
TeX-fold-hide-item.  This patch introduces the convention that such
functions are called with point positioned at the beginning of the
item to be folded.  This already happens "by accident" when the
folding occurs via TeX-fold-region, but not via TeX-fold-post-command,
for instance.

The motivation for having a consistent convention is that it makes it
possible (or at least simpler) to introduce more advanced folding
specs that depend on more than just the provided argument list.  For
example, in https://github.com/ultronozm/czm-tex-fold.el, I have used
similar functionality, implemented via :override advice, to fold
\begin{theorem} as "Theorem 1.1", with the correct equation number.
The patch would allow me to excise the advice.

Thanks, best,

Paul