Subject: 29.2; Tramp: Extend tramp-make-copy-program-file-name via tramp-methods
From: Sean Devlin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 15:08:46 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi folks,

This is a feature request.

Tramp lets you define a method for out-of-band file copying with the
tramp-methods keys tramp-copy-program, tramp-copy-args, and so on.

Currently, there is no way to customize the format of remote file
paths. The function tramp-make-copy-program-file-name is responsible for
this job, and it is hard-coded to format files as USER@HOST:FILE.

I was working on a custom Tramp method, and I ran into problems setting
up OOB copying due to this limitation.

It would be great if there were a key you could set in tramp-methods to
override this logic. For example, maybe something like:

(tramp-copy-format-file-name my-tramp-make-copy-program-file-name)

Where my-tramp-make-copy-program-file-name is a function taking a vector
as input and returning a string of the formatted file name (similar to
tramp-make-copy-program-file-name).

Alternately, maybe a format string (or something similar to
tramp-login-args/tramp-copy-args) would be sufficient. In my case, I
just need to add a constant prefix to the remote file name, so a format
string would be fine.

Thanks!

In GNU Emacs 29.2 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin21.6.0, NS
appkit-2113.60 Version 12.6.6 (Build 21G646)) of 2024-01-18 built on
armbob.lan
Windowing system distributor 'Apple'
System Description:  macOS 14

Configured using:
'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-DFD_SETSIZE=10000
-DDARWIN_UNLIMITED_SELECT' --with-x-toolkit=no'

Configured features:
ACL GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER
PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 37536 8456)
(symbols 48 5045 0)
(strings 32 13121 2410)
(string-bytes 1 398579)
(vectors 16 10368)
(vector-slots 8 162386 14885)
(floats 8 21 23)
(intervals 56 217 0)
(buffers 984 10))