Subject: 30.0.50; error in process filter: pixel-fill-region: The indentation (947) is wider than the fill width (919)
From: No Wayman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2024 01:36:10 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I've been seeing the following error when mu4e attempts to render 
views:

error in process filter: pixel-fill-region: The indentation (947) 
is wider than the fill width (919)

I reported it upstream to mu4e's maintainer who referred me here 
due to the fact that mu4e uses gnus to render email.
However, I am unable to reproduce by using gnus alone to view the 
same messages.
The error only occurs when the Emacs frame is <= one half the 
width of my laptop's 1920x1080 monitor.
The error does not occur on Emacs 29.2.
Git bisect points to the following commit:

33b6de7acec0536290939303855947c0c2af57d2 is the first bad commit
commit 33b6de7acec0536290939303855947c0c2af57d2
Author: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date:   Sun Dec 3 18:29:09 2023 +0200

    Improve 'window-text-pixel-size' when buffer includes images
    
    * src/xdisp.c (window_text_pixel_size): Fix computation of Y 
    when
    IGNORE_LINE_AT_END is non-nil and there's a 'display' property 
    at
    TO.  Improve movement to beginning of screen line at start. 
    Fix
    computation of Y when lines are truncated and a line begins 
    with a
    'display' property at TO.
    (produce_image_glyph): Don't crop image glyph when word-wrap 
    is in
    effect.  (Bug#67533)

 src/xdisp.c | 33 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++------

Here's a full backtrace from an errant attempt at displaying an 
email:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "The indentation (947) is 
wider than the fill width (919)")
  error("The indentation (%s) is wider than the fill width (%s)" 
  947 919)
  pixel-fill-region(145 193 919)
  gnus-article-treat-fold-headers()
  gnus-treat-article(head)
  gnus-display-mime(nil)
  (closure
      ((msg :path
            "/home/n/Documents/emails/iarchivedmywholelife-gmail/github/cur/1706283491.27109_1.laptop,U=6349:2,S"
            :size 8759 :list-post
            ((:email
              "[email-masked]"))
            :reply-to
            ((:email
              "[email-masked]"
              :name "progfolio/elpaca"))
            :cc
            ((:email "[email-masked]" :name 
            "Nicholas Vollmer")
             (:email "[email-masked]" :name 
             "Comment"))
            :changed (26035 53731 0) :date (26035 52304 0) :from
            ((:email "[email-masked]" :name "drcxd")) 
            :list
            "elpaca.progfolio.github.com" :message-id
            "progfolio/elpaca/issues/247/[email-masked]" 
            :priority low
            :references ("progfolio/elpaca/issues/[email-masked]") 
            :subject
            "Re: [progfolio/elpaca] [Bug/Support]: Unable to find 
            main elisp file for vertico (Issue #247)"
            :to ((:email "[email-masked]" :name 
            "progfolio/elpaca"))
            :maildir "/iarchivedmywholelife-gmail/github" :flags
            (seen list personal) :docid 10667 :meta
            (:path "06:ff:z" :level 1 :date "n65b3cc50" 
            :data-tstamp (0 0 0)
                   :first-child t)))
      (&optional ihandles)
    (gnus-display-mime ihandles)
    (if ihandles nil
      (save-restriction
        (article-goto-body) (forward-line -1) (narrow-to-region 
        (point) (point))
        (let ((tail mu4e-view-fields))
          (while tail
            (let ((field (car tail)))
              (let ((fieldval (mu4e-message-field msg field)))
                (cond
                 ((memq field '(:list :maildir :path))
                  (let nil (mu4e--view-gnus-insert-header field 
                  fieldval)))
                 ((eq field :message-id)
                  (let nil
                    (let* ((msgid (and t (plist-get msg 
                    :message-id))))
                      (if msgid
                          (mu4e--view-gnus-insert-header field
                                                         (format 
                                                         "<%s>" 
                                                         msgid))
                        nil))))
                 ((eq field :mailing-list)
                  (let nil
                    (let ((list (plist-get msg :list)))
                      (if list (mu4e-get-mailing-list-shortname 
                      list) ""))))
                 ((memq field '(:tags :flags))
                  (let nil
                    (let ((flags (mapconcat #'(lambda (flag) (if 
                    (symbolp flag) (symbol-name flag) flag)) 
                    fieldval ", ")))
                      (mu4e--view-gnus-insert-header field 
                      flags))))
                 ((eq field :size)
                  (let nil
                    (mu4e--view-gnus-insert-header field
                                                   (mu4e-display-size 
                                                   fieldval))))
                 ((memq field
                        '(:decryption :signature :attachments 
                        :date :user-agent
                                      :from-or-to :bcc :cc :from 
                                      :to :subject))
                  'nil)
                 (t (let nil (mu4e--view-gnus-insert-header-custom 
                 msg field)))))
              (setq tail (cdr tail)))))
        (let
            ((gnus-treatment-function-alist
              '((gnus-treat-highlight-headers 
              gnus-article-highlight-headers))))
          (gnus-treat-article 'head)))))()
  gnus-article-prepare-display()
  mu4e--view-render-buffer((:path
                            "/home/n/Documents/emails/iarchivedmywholelife-gmail/github/cur/1706283491.27109_1.laptop,U=6349:2,S"
                            :size 8759 :list-post
                            ((:email 
                            "[email-masked]"))
                            :reply-to
                            ((:email 
                            "[email-masked]"
                                     :name "progfolio/elpaca"))
                            :cc
                            ((:email 
                            "[email-masked]" :name 
                            "Nicholas Vollmer")
                             (:email "[email-masked]" 
                             :name "Comment"))
                            :changed (26035 53731 0) :date (26035 
                            52304 0) :from
                            ((:email "[email-masked]" 
                            :name "drcxd")) :list
                            "elpaca.progfolio.github.com" 
                            :message-id
                            "progfolio/elpaca/issues/247/[email-masked]" 
                            :priority low :references
                            ("progfolio/elpaca/issues/[email-masked]") 
                            :subject
                            "Re: [progfolio/elpaca] [Bug/Support]: 
                            Unable to find main elisp file for 
                            vertico (Issue #247)"
                            :to ((:email 
                            "[email-masked]" :name 
                            "progfolio/elpaca")) :maildir
                            "/iarchivedmywholelife-gmail/github" 
                            :flags (seen list personal) :docid 
                            10667
                            :meta
                            (:path "06:ff:z" :level 1 :date 
                            "n65b3cc50" :data-tstamp (0 0 0) 
                            :first-child
                                   t)))
  mu4e-view((:path
             "/home/n/Documents/emails/iarchivedmywholelife-gmail/github/cur/1706283491.27109_1.laptop,U=6349:2,S"
             :size 8759 :list-post
             ((:email 
             "[email-masked]"))
             :reply-to
             ((:email 
             "[email-masked]"
                      :name "progfolio/elpaca"))
             :cc
             ((:email "[email-masked]" :name 
             "Nicholas Vollmer")
              (:email "[email-masked]" :name 
              "Comment"))
             :changed (26035 53731 0) :date (26035 52304 0) :from
             ((:email "[email-masked]" :name "drcxd")) 
             :list
             "elpaca.progfolio.github.com" :message-id
             "progfolio/elpaca/issues/247/[email-masked]" 
             :priority low :references
             ("progfolio/elpaca/issues/[email-masked]") :subject
             "Re: [progfolio/elpaca] [Bug/Support]: Unable to find 
             main elisp file for vertico (Issue #247)"
             :to ((:email "[email-masked]" :name 
             "progfolio/elpaca")) :maildir
             "/iarchivedmywholelife-gmail/github" :flags (seen 
             list personal) :docid 10667
             :meta
             (:path "06:ff:z" :level 1 :date "n65b3cc50" 
             :data-tstamp (0 0 0) :first-child
                    t)))
  mu4e~headers-view-handler((:path
                             "/home/n/Documents/emails/iarchivedmywholelife-gmail/github/cur/1706283491.27109_1.laptop,U=6349:2,S"
                             :size 8759 :list-post
                             ((:email 
                             "[email-masked]"))
                             :reply-to
                             ((:email 
                             "[email-masked]"
                                      :name "progfolio/elpaca"))
                             :cc
                             ((:email 
                             "[email-masked]" 
                             :name "Nicholas Vollmer")
                              (:email "[email-masked]" 
                              :name "Comment"))
                             :changed (26035 53731 0) :date (26035 
                             52304 0) :from
                             ((:email "[email-masked]" 
                             :name "drcxd")) :list
                             "elpaca.progfolio.github.com" 
                             :message-id
                             "progfolio/elpaca/issues/247/[email-masked]" 
                             :priority low :references
                             ("progfolio/elpaca/issues/[email-masked]") 
                             :subject
                             "Re: [progfolio/elpaca] 
                             [Bug/Support]: Unable to find main 
                             elisp file for vertico (Issue #247)"
                             :to ((:email 
                             "[email-masked]" :name 
                             "progfolio/elpaca")) :maildir
                             "/iarchivedmywholelife-gmail/github" 
                             :flags (seen list personal) :docid 
                             10667
                             :meta
                             (:path "06:ff:z" :level 1 :date 
                             "n65b3cc50" :data-tstamp (0 0 0) 
                             :first-child
                                    t)))
  mu4e--server-filter(#<process  *mu4e-server*>
                                 "\3763e2\377(:view (:path 
                                 \"/home/n/Documents/emails/iarchivedmywholelife-gmail/github/cur/1706283491.27109_1.laptop,U=6349:2,S\" 
                                 :size 8759 :list-post ((:email 
                                 \"[email-masked]\")) 
                                 :reply-to ((:email 
                                 \"[email-masked]\" 
                                 :name \"progfolio/elpaca\")) :cc 
                                 ((:email 
                                 \"[email-masked]\" 
                                 :name \"Nicholas Vollmer\") 
                                 (:email 
                                 \"[email-masked]\" 
                                 :name \"Comment\")) :changed 
                                 (26035 53731 0) :date (26035 
                                 52304 0) :from ((:email 
                                 \"[email-masked]\" 
                                 :name \"drcxd\")) :list 
                                 \"elpaca.progfolio.github.com\" 
                                 :message-id 
                                 \"progfolio/elpaca/issues/247/[email-masked]\" 
                                 :priority low :references 
                                 (\"progfolio/elpaca/issues/[email-masked]\") 
                                 :subject \"Re: [progfolio/elpaca] 
                                 [Bug/Support]: Unable to find 
                                 main elisp file for vertico 
                                 (Issue #247)\" :to ((:email 
                                 \"[email-masked]\" 
                                 :name \"progfolio/elpaca\")) 
                                 :maildir 
                                 \"/iarchivedmywholelife-gmail/github\" 
                                 :flags (seen list personal) 
                                 :docid 10667))\n;; mu> ")

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.41, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-01-27 built on laptop
Repository revision: 744a10a4d722a361bc21561b4162045e4ec97ed6
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 
11.0.12101011
System Description: Arch Linux